Death at Fish Point

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Death at Fish Point

Postby E_meister » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:14 am

Wanted to share this with you guys, will update it when we hear more information.

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2011/10/state_police_hunting_accident.html

Be safe! I don't want to hear about any more of these this year.
Shake it more than 3 times and you're playin with it.
E_meister
hunter

Death at Fish Point

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:04 am

It makes me sick to think about.

Thoughts and prayers are with all those involved.
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Re: Death at Fish Point

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:19 pm

What an awful tragedy. Condolences to those involved as well as the families.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:03 pm

I can not fint the other story but will post when I can find it again. Said it involved a 10yo. I really hope that is not the case.... :sad:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:05 pm

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:20 pm

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rajah » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Read about this on the Michigan Waterfowl site. Very heartbreaking. This will be with his son forever.
Bazinga!!
Rajah
hunter

Postby sws002 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Sad stuff, buddy of mine knew the guy, talked to him yesterday morning.
sws002
hunter

Postby BootsUpDucks2121 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:08 pm

That is abasolutely tragic. When I was 13 I went to Fish Pointe with my dad on a day that was too dangerous for us to go out on the bay in our john boat. That day I accidentally discharged my gun, luckily I was atleast following the universal precaution of holding my firearm away from the direction of anyone in the vacinity. It still haunts me to this day knowing that a slip of a finger could have changed everything for me.I still have nightmares about that 11 years later. I feel for this family and especially for the young boy.
"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes"
BootsUpDucks2121
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:38 am

My thoughts and prayers goes out to the family and friends of the deceased.. From what I have read he has so many friends due to his great attitude and respect of others.

This has made me reflect upon all the instances in which I have taken youths and new hunters to the field and the inherent dangers present with our sport.. Hopefully this serves as a reminder for all of us to pay attention to muzzle direction, safeties and for those on the big water, the winds and weather..
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby MICHIDUCK » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:45 pm

The NRA three rules of firearm saftey: ALWAYS KEEP YOUR GUN POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTILL YOUR READY TO FIRE. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR GUN UNLOADED UNTILL READY TO SHOOT. Gentelmen, let's all teach our youth to be safe and responsible with firearms. Let's all get down on our knees and pray for the family and this young man. Can you imagine the burden he will have to carry the rest of his life? This is so tragic. I cried when I heard about it. Let's never let this happen again.
Darrell
Last edited by MICHIDUCK on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
MICHIDUCK
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:23 am

I read online (possibly a chicago tribune story but not sure) that it happened in a "swing thru" shooting. But again it is only something I read from an online article and not from a MI news source. I feel great sorrow for this family and pray for them and their recovery.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby g_maxson » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:47 pm

MICHIDUCK wrote:Obviously all three of the NRA ALWAYS,ALWAYS, ALWAYS, rules were violated.

You are making a big assumption without knowing what happened.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:59 pm

tragic event. i wonder if the apprentice hunting license will be removed again after this season. im not saying the kid didnt take hunter safety but just a thought
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:26 pm

g_maxson wrote:
MICHIDUCK wrote:Obviously all three of the NRA ALWAYS,ALWAYS, ALWAYS, rules were violated.

You are making a big assumption without knowing what happened.

Without knowing the facts you should not state that the rules were violated. Something happened but I do not know that it will ever be detailed. I wish it would be put out as something could possibly be learned or prevented in the future.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:30 pm

spartansfan wrote:tragic event. i wonder if the apprentice hunting license will be removed again after this season. im not saying the kid didnt take hunter safety but just a thought

I do not think the apprentice license was the issue or should be removed. It could have just as easily been an accident that involved two adults rather than an adult and child. I can not find any info on it but seem to remember another shooting accident several years ago in a managed area here in MI and I thought it was FP but I am not certain.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby spartansfan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:33 pm

granted im only a college student. but i have cousins that are 10 that duck hunt and deer hunt. and i think many would agree with me in saying that id rather have a 10 yr old sitting with a rifle not swinging it around at a deer that is in a steady spot then duck hunting with a shotgun while swinging it around. just my 2 cents
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby MICHIDUCK » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:53 am

Hey guys, I can't tailor my words to please everyone on here. Just speaking from my heart. As the head coach of a 45 member youth shooting team, I threw the NRA ALWAYS rules out there. I am deeply saddened by what happened. Instead of starting a crap storm on duck hunting chat, I think our energies could be used for a better purpose, let's all pray for the young man and his family.
Let's all pray this never happens again.
Nuff said, Darrell
MICHIDUCK
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:51 am

really... youre going to post that on here..
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:23 pm

spartansfan wrote:really... youre going to post that on here..

It was a spammer bot, I dumped the post and we dumped the user too. :mad:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting