Deer Season

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Deer Season

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:42 am

Well it is just about here, I have taken one very large doe during bow season and now it it time for the bucks. I am watching one that has 6 brow tines (three on each side). Hoping to post pictures of him in the back of the truck :biggrin: . I Usually take 4 doe a year then my 2 bucks as my dads property is over run with big doe. We have been taking about 8 to 10 doe a year off there and there are still a couple groups of 25 to 30. Our hunting is to regulate them not reduce the herd size. :thumbsup:

Post some of your deer blind pics. Here is one of mine, 16' to the platform, 8' X 8' Fully insulated and finished with ceiling, carpet and lights. There is a a pair of industrial 110ah batteries that run an inverter and charges via solar. it is heated with a small propane heater. I need to replace the windows as they do not swing or slide open they just come out with 4 latches and it is not very practical. Steps run up inside to one corner and enter thru the bottom hatch. it has a peaked shingled roof and is 8' tall on the inside. It is great for our children as they can enjoy the hunt without freezing on the cold mornings. We have installed steel barn siding on the base to enclose the 6x6 supports and there is a door just large enough to allow me to park my Kawasaki brute force inside and out of sight.

We built it all in the barn including the roof
DCP_0004.JPG

The platform is on 6x6 beams and the floor is treated 2x10's with 2 layers of 1/2 plywood.
DCP_0003.JPG

the blue tarp was just to protect it from the weather while constructing it.
DCP_0006.JPG

it stands on a corner of about 20 acres of woods and looks over the fields (corn or beans) and my dads air strip.
DCP_0008.JPG
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Deer Season

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:16 am

Nice blind. I should have taken a couple pictures of mine the last couple of days.

The hunting was pretty slow for us though. Last year I counted over 90 deer opening day, this year I saw 20 and I didn't see anything until after 4pm. I can see a LONG way from my blind. Normally the field I overlook is winter wheat or rye, this year it was dirt. The tractors came in and started to chisel-plow and plant yesterday. Kind of crazy, that's a first. And there was A LOT of corn up in the area, that didn't help either. We also had some pea soup thick fog too opening morning. My husband sat in some nearby woods and took a nice doe opening day. Yesterday morning was a little better and I had a shot at a little buck that was chasing some does. I had the crosshairs on him about 4 times and nearly pulled the trigger, but I decided to pass and shot the biggest doe. Looking back I made the right decision. By the time I finally pulled the trigger the deer were at 75 yards. If I couldn't decide if he was big enough at 75 yards, he definitely wasn't big enough. lol. Hopefully, he'll make it through the season and maybe I'll see him again next year.

I found out from my cousin this morning that someone shot a 13-point during bow season where my husband was hunting. That's a big deer. He said there were some huge rubs all over the area he hid his pop-up blind.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:45 pm

I've shot a lot of deer, but I think this is my first picture of me with one. :huh:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:27 pm

My Dad Last Night. 125# Dressed out.

P1030744.JPG

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby patrick.carrington » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Please tell me that's not what it think it is in his hands hahahahahaha, Thats awesome!
Proud Supporter of DOA Game Calls
"When luck just isn't enough!"
patrick.carrington
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:53 pm

patrick.carrington wrote:Please tell me that's not what it think it is in his hands hahahahahaha, Thats awesome!

It is the heart, My Dad always tries to save the Heart as the first meal out of the deer.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting