Upland Birds

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Upland Birds

Postby Penguine » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:35 pm

I know this is the Michigan Duck Forum but I though it would be a good place to ask. I grew up in Michigan and claimed Michigan as my home state (military) due to the no state income tax if yer military and outside of the state. I changed to South Dakota in 2008 when I bought a house and decided to stay here till the kids graduate high school. What I was wondering is how is the upland bird hunting in Michigan? I remember growing up we would hunt in the Huron National Forrest up around Oscoda/Tawas, but last time I was home, 2005, I had my dad take me back to the old deer camp which somehow turned in to a "dump" for peoples appliances (sad). There were also signs along the forrest road that you were not allowed to leave the road cause some "endangered" piece of crap tweety bird or something had moved in and they shut down part of the forrest to protect it. Is the upland bird (grouse, pheasant, quail, etc) worth a damn in Michigan? Im asking cause I am thinking about coming back next year to visit the family and might have to bring a shotgun with me if I do.

Thanks folks,
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Re: Upland Birds

Postby carsonr2 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:23 am

The "endangered piece of crap tweety bird or something" in that area of the State is most likely the kirtland warbler, which nests only in young Jackpine Stands in that portion of Michigan. I wouldn't worry about having those areas unavailable to hunt upland birds as that is not the preferred habitat.

And yes the upland hunting for ruffed grouse and woodcock is tremendous in this State. I would venture to say we have one of the best States to hunt Ruffed Grouse next to MN and WI.

We are right around the peak of the cycle according to some of the DNR and USFS biologists, meaning the bird numbers were very good this year and will be great again next year. I personally had days where we kicked up 20-30 birds in 4-5 hours of hunting this season.

The key is finding the right habitat. You need to locate aspen stands preferably younger than 20 years, and IMO stands 12-15 years of age were consistently holding the greatest number of birds. Find the cover and you will find birds.

Not sure when you would visit MI, but the season runs Sept. 15th to Nov. 15th for Grouse then opens for the month of December. Woodcock dates very somewhat year to year so check the regs to make sure you can shoot woodcock if you do venture out.
Vegetarian = Old Indian Saying "Not Good Hunter"
carsonr2
hunter

Re: Upland Birds

Postby Penguine » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks for the help. Hopefully sometime next year I can make it back that way.

Have a great day.

Todd
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting