What do you guys do for off season???

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Postby Bandedbrothers » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:12 am

I am wondering what you guys do for the off season of duck hunting? Not much to do here in MI besides small game. Thankfully I bought a lab pup and she has been keeping me busy while I train her for up coming season.

I just want to hear what you all do???
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Re: What do you guys do for off season???

Postby moodymallard » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:38 pm

I crow hunt with my lab to keep him in shape and get him outta the house. I ice fish alot as well. I fish all summer and prepare the blinds and decoys and boat as well. I also trap, so that takes alot of my time. I bow hunt as well but think that its gonna be going on the back burner to duck hunting in the future. I'm currently going crazy witht his winters ups and downs ready for spring and steel heading to take a strong hold..
moodymallard
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:38 am

Go to work every day. On the weekends I Work on the farm, Manage Deer food plots, Home repairs/upgrades, shoot sporting clays and dream of next season :biggrin: . I am not much into small game like rabbits and I kill enough tree rats to feed me every week just keeping them at bay. Seems every time I get rid of one there are 3 more to replace it. they dig holes all over my lawn burying the nuts from my oak trees. :mad:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:03 am

Ice fishing for perch and walleye and sometimes whitefish, bow fishing in the spring and trolling the rest of the summer....

Just enough work I keep the bills paid
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby shoot-n-goose » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:18 pm

School and work until spring, then get the boat ready for the lake! Cold beer and tan lines, man I love summer :biggrin:
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Mostly just drink. :lol3:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:13 pm

Some of you for got the FIELD PARTIES!!! lol those are always fun, driving the truck out there blaring country music and drinkin...
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Coyote and crow hunt and icefish in the winter. Bowfish for the spring. fish and rip some dirt on my dritbike in the summer. I keep myself perty busy between work, school, hunting, and fishing. :thumbsup:
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby msuducknut » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:47 am

been walleye fishing on the river/s every weekend since feb 10. havnt missed a weekend yet. longest time I can remember ever being on a boat during winter!
msuducknut
hunter

Postby Ryd3r » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:14 pm

lildemars09 wrote:I am wondering what you guys do for the off season of duck hunting? Not much to do here in MI besides small game. Thankfully I bought a lab pup and she has been keeping me busy while I train her for up coming season.

I just want to hear what you all do???

Fishing! Steelhead, winter ice fishing for every species; Spring, Summer and Fall fishing. Riding motocross as well, and as far as hunting goes, practicing calling and scouting new places to try.
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." - Ernest Hemmingway
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Ryd3r wrote:Fishing! Steelhead, winter ice fishing for every species; Spring, Summer and Fall fishing. Riding motocross as well, and as far as hunting goes, practicing calling and scouting new places to try.

where about are you from in MI?
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Ryd3r » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:58 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
Ryd3r wrote:Fishing! Steelhead, winter ice fishing for every species; Spring, Summer and Fall fishing. Riding motocross as well, and as far as hunting goes, practicing calling and scouting new places to try.

where about are you from in MI?

Western MI near Muskegon.
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." - Ernest Hemmingway
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:03 am

Right now, prepping for turkey season. Hoping to knock down a big tom next week. :thumbsup:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Ryd3r » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Outdoor Gal wrote:Right now, prepping for turkey season. Hoping to knock down a big tom next week. :thumbsup:

Me too. Just finished making a nice little blind today.
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Fri May 25, 2012 6:39 am

Well, Michigan is surrounded by water, so id say we have lots to do in the off season. So, i do a lot of fishing. On the ice, open water jigging in the rivers, summer trolling for walleye and salmon, turkey hunt, late season deer hunt. And work...so i can get all the toys i want for duck season.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Jim1648 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:36 am

I decided to build a foam decoy rig. Image Image And troll Image
Jim1648
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting