Saginaw Bay

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Saginaw Bay

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:24 pm

anybody hunt the bay. What is your favorite way to hunt it and what birds do you target. Iv been huntin the sholine for puddlers but getting a diver spread and rig ready for next season.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Re: Saginaw Bay

Postby augerin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:28 pm

A little off topic...but, will there be enough water to float decoys on the bay this year? :no:
augerin
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:27 am

I had a real hard time this past season. Most of the time I had to bury the keels in the sand. I just always tried to hunt tith an on shore wind but that makes it hard to decoy birds with the wind hitting you in the face.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:44 am

if you get a North wind the south shore gets deep enough to run a boat out. If not then plan on some walking unless you hunt out a ways. you can take one of the channels out of fish point, Quanicassee or Sebewaing and as long as you avoid the huge rocks out there you can do pretty good. I have been hunting from a Canoe the past few seasons because I can no longer get my boat into the spots I want to hunt.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:11 pm

I usually hunt around Linwood area and I almost all ways walk. It's almost impossible to get a boat within 100 yards of the shore.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby augerin » Thu May 31, 2012 2:48 am

Was up to the bay over the Memorial Day weekend...water is pretty thin :help:
augerin
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu May 31, 2012 12:05 pm

augerin wrote:Was up to the bay over the Memorial Day weekend...water is pretty thin :help:

water is the lowest ive ever seen it this spring. with a good south wind i might not even get my boat in on some of the launches this fall. :sad:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:17 pm

I can't help the op out but can anyone help the guy out and actually answer the question?
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:05 pm

spartansfan wrote:I can't help the op out but can anyone help the guy out and actually answer the question?

Haha. This should probably be put in the environmental issues forum or something. :rolleyes:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Went out and did a little scouting in the Linwood area off Anderson road in my kayak. I had to get out and pull my kayak out the "channel" to get to the open water. Last year I could get a 1442 Jon out it with no problem but not this year. Used to see a lot of ducks out there too but only saw a few this time. I think the water is so low that it pushed them out to the deeper areas with more food. Hopefully we get a bunch more rain here soon or it's going to be a lot of walkin again this season.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby timmer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:24 am

im from middle zone but we go to naquing point each year , whats the water look like there id imagine it low like everywhere else along the bay
timmer
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:02 pm

timmer wrote:im from middle zone but we go to naquing point each year , whats the water look like there id imagine it low like everywhere else along the bay

Nayangin point always has water because of the pumps. But we hunted the bay this weekend and couldn't get the boat within 300 yards of shore. Just enough water to put in decoys.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:59 am

I put the boat in sebewaing and got to everywhere I usually go but hit a lot of rocks in the process. water is a lot lower than last year and no relief in sight. back in 1999 when th ewater started getting low in the bay I was told by the DNR that it is a 10 year cycle and that thru history the bay goes up to a peak for about 10 years and then to a low for about 10 years. been low now for about 13 years now.

There is a spot that I used to launch a boat from with my dad in the 70's and early 80's. when I came back from military service in the late 90's that area of th ebay was dry and the water was out about 3/4 mile from shore. :mad:

I know several people with cabins on the bay and they now have VERY LARGE back yards and their sea walls still have the water lines up about 6 foot from the ground. *** happened to all of out water. if you look at it there are billions and billions of gallons of water missing from saginaw bay and getting lower every year.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby timmer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:28 am

yeah nauquing usually has water but last year i got south feild which is the best and was standing in 1 1/2 foot of water and north feild is high and dry your better of going to the marsh but good luck finding your ducks if you cripple em
timmer
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:53 am

I was told that the bay is so low because the st. Lawrence seaway was dredged about 5 foot deeper to alow larger ships in. But in turn it pumped out a lot more water causing the great lakes levels to drop and the water is the shipping channel to drop 5 feet so in the end they didn't accomplish anything but drain the great lakes. And they won't spend the money to put in barriers and locks to slow the flow back down to its natural speed. Shipping companies screwing us again. Go figure.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Anybody know if there is any water in the standish area around wigwam bay? I don't have a mudmotor so I need more than an inch. Thanks guys.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby augerin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:29 pm

If the waters levels are anything like the east side of the bay you might have a hike to your favorite spot. Best to scout early. On the east side we hope for a west/northwest wind to help out. I may be doing more walking this year, but thats hunting.
As to the water level problem, I was told that the dredging around the mouth of the St. Clair river years ago is part of the reason for the lower water levels. This combined with warmer than usual winters and lack of snow don't help. Have a good season. :beer:
augerin
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:40 am

That's what I figured but I wanted to here from someone over there and make sure. Ive never hunted up there. I usually hunt the Linwood area but there is no water there. Just wondered if there was any more water north. Thanks.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby DennyB » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:54 am

If you go to the Michigan site in the waterfowl forum there are some pictures of the Saginaw river taken yesterday with the south wind blowing. Lets just say a picture is worth a thousand words. I have owned a place on Sand Point since 1985 and I have never seen the water this low in all these years.
DennyB
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:40 am

DennyB wrote:If you go to the Michigan site in the waterfowl forum there are some pictures of the Saginaw river taken yesterday with the south wind blowing. Lets just say a picture is worth a thousand words. I have owned a place on Sand Point since 1985 and I have never seen the water this low in all these years.

I live by the kawkalin river and it was down close to 4 feet from the day before with the strong south winds. Never seen it that low in my life. I think I could have walked across in hip boots at the mouth of the river.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting