Cougars in Michigan?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Cougars in Michigan?

Postby Cobra » Wed May 17, 2006 9:44 pm

Just watched TV8 news out of GR. Had a story about Cougar sightings near Battle Creek, I live less than 2 miles from the intersection stated. Residents claim to have seen one, on and off, over the past few years. Know this has been debated over the years, but what do you think. Are there Cougars running around loose in the state? Escaped, one time pets or enough for a breeding population? ~~ Personally believe they are around in the BC area. Was over to a friends 20 years ago and a neighbor had 5 as pets, they say, I only saw 2 fairly young ones. A couple of years later this friend told me 3 escaped. A few years later my brother, an avid bike rider and science teacher, told me he had one run across a road along the river in front of him. Breeding population? I hope not, the Deer and 'yotes have no fear of people inside the city limits, just think of a fearless Cougar running around loose.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Thu May 18, 2006 4:48 am

I have heard stories of them being sighted in Monroe county as well, but I have never seen them.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby Randy Loker » Tue May 30, 2006 2:51 pm

I used to live south of Battle Creek, in Fulton. I have quite a bit of family that still live around there. My cousin saw one down by Mendon last year and some friends that live down there have a plaster print that they made from a track in the field next to their house.

I also know a guy that had a friend who was bow hunting and had one about to climb up the tree that he was in. He shot it with his bow but it ran off and was never recovered. There were two of them there and he shot the bigger one.

This past weekend, my uncle told me that he has a friend that was doing some farm work up by Allegen. He that that he saw a cougar one morning but refused to tell anybody because he thaught that everyone would think he was crazy. The next day him and a co-worker were walking in the field and they both saw a set of tracks that, without a doubt, had to had been made by a cougar.

I know if I see one, I'll be shooting; no questions asked. The last thing we need in Michigan is cougars. :pissed:
Pile 'em up

Team Michigander 08-09
Geese:288 Bands:5, 1 collar
Ducks:367 Bands:0
Randy Loker
hunter

Postby Brydog » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:01 am

I read an article in Woods and Water magizine last year where the DNR said..."There are NO cougers in Michigan, But if you shoot one of them, you WILL be PROSICUTED" :umm:

Looks like the DNR have entered the Political arena. :laughing:
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby Michigan » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:39 am

I have video of a cougar in Kent County near Cedar Springs WITH YOUNG IN TOW. It is presently at some DNR office for analisys and I will try to post it to photobucket if and when I get it back.
Michigan
hunter

Postby Woody27 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:32 pm

A cougar killed a horse in Parma near JAckson last yr. That has been confirmed. Don't shoot em though they will nail you and the press will make you look like a pedophile congressman. CNN will be on you. It's not worth it. They're around SW MI though
Woody27
hunter

Postby HonkShooter » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:15 pm

Guy I know lives in Berrien Springs (SW) and said he heard them screamin or doin whatever they do 2 nights in arrow. All I know is that if I have a cougar running at me when I'm hunting....it's going to get shot at. I don't care what kind of press or trouble I get into, I like living.
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby mtudukhntr » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:18 pm

I have deer hunted in the UP since I turned 14 and I have seen many cougar tracks up there as well as heard reports from the farmer whose land I hunt that there are Cougars all over the UP.
mtudukhntr
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting