New to Michigan want to fish

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

New to Michigan want to fish

Postby handyandy » Fri May 25, 2012 9:58 am

I just moved up here from Warrensburg Missouri to the Detroit area working for Ford for this summer down in Missouri I was huge duck hunter and fishermen. Most everyone is always real nice on this forum and I know there is a lot of good fishing up here and different species I'm not use to fishing for I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction as to where and how to fish around here for anything. I do have my 16ft flat bottom jon boat I brought with me hoping maybe somebody might want to meet up for some fishing that can show me what works around on the local water ways. Feel free to reply with a post or pm me.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Re: New to Michigan want to fish

Postby dankoustas » Fri May 25, 2012 10:14 am

There are plenty of small, medium and big lakes around here for sure. I live on the Detroit River and right now the Silver Bass are really running. Its nothing to catch one every cast and they put up a good fight as well. For inland lakes: try Belleville Lake and there are a bunch of lakes just to the north near Troy (within 30 minutes of Detroit).
dankoustas
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri May 25, 2012 11:10 am

what do those silver bass like to bite on? I know there are lots of walleye we don't really have them in missouri so I have no idea how to fish for them. I know there are lots of small smouth around here and I love catching them in missouri they tend to like minnows or lures imitating them or jigging spoons what about around here I know the detroit river holds a lot.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby dankoustas » Fri May 25, 2012 11:36 am

handyandy wrote:what do those silver bass like to bite on? I know there are lots of walleye we don't really have them in missouri so I have no idea how to fish for them. I know there are lots of small smouth around here and I love catching them in missouri they tend to like minnows or lures imitating them or jigging spoons what about around here I know the detroit river holds a lot.

Silver Bass will bit pretty much everything. White twister tail will knock em dead. We carefull with your 16 footer on the Detroit River, you will be OK, just be smart.
dankoustas
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri May 25, 2012 12:15 pm

thanks for the help and I will be sure to be careful won't be going out there alone I've taken it on the missouri and mississippi river back home which can get hairy sometimes with the river barges and the current. I am really itching to get out this weekend and see what I can catch hopefully some smallies, and silver bass. I went out to belleville lake the other evening after work with no luck but only had about a hour and half to fish I don't know what I was doing wrong but hopefully I'll get it figured out. I appreciate the help.

handyandy
hunter

Postby dankoustas » Fri May 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Here is a link to a site for the Detroit River and Lake Erie. Do a few searches for whatever you want to fish for and you will find a ton of info.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum ... y.php?f=89
dankoustas
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri May 25, 2012 12:43 pm

I feel for you moving from Warrensburg, MO to the Detroit area. I get up there about twice a year and don't look forward to it.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby handyandy » Fri May 25, 2012 1:16 pm

So far its not to bad but I haven't been here a week yet looking forward to getting out for this long weekend and really fishing and getting a feel for the area. The way I see it there is still good turkey, deer, duck, and canadian hunting up here plus awesome fishing from it sounds like. Just figured here was a good start for advice on where to go. I've been on the michigan sportsmen site and registered on it already and made a similar post as here. It is a really good site and lots of help thanks.

handyandy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Welcome, first things first, Get your carry permit, :yes:

All kidding aside, there is a lot of fishing to be done in MI, You can also check with the locak DNR station and get their input, they are usually happy to help.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:34 pm

handyandy wrote: The way I see it there is still good turkey, deer, duck, and canadian hunting up here plus awesome fishing from it sounds like.

If you're in Detroit, you're not far from world class Canadian hunting. The largest concentration of Canadians in the world is just across the Ambassador Bridge.
First off, we need to get our story straight.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting