season dates

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

season dates

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Has anyone heard what is on the table for this years (2012) waterfowl dates? last year they had an idea what they were going to be by the end of june. I have not seen a thing so far this year. lower zone I would suspect will still be the second weekend in oct but I need to plan days off for the early goose and youth hunts.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

season dates

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:08 pm

Early goose is always Sept 1 & the youth hunt is always the 3rd weekend in Sept.

The rest won't be determined til late August.
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Re: season dates

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:14 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Early goose is always Sept 1 & the youth hunt is always the 3rd weekend in Sept.

The rest won't be determined til late August.

that is the norm as is the second weekend in oct for the opener but I want to be sure before I take the days off. I have heard that they were thinking of pushing everything back one more week this year from a couple of people. usually they announce them around mid august but already know what they are going to be by july.

My Wifes job does not allow for changes once vacation is requested so if they stray from the norm It will cause me some issues.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

season dates

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:10 am

That's exactly why we need to stop this ridiculous flip flopping dates every other year and pick dates and be done with it.

I realize the USFW sets the framework, but how hard is it to just say once - as long as we have a 60 day season it will start X, a 45 day season would start X, 30 day season would start X. Stupid.
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:07 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:That's exactly why we need to stop this ridiculous flip flopping dates every other year and pick dates and be done with it.

I realize the USFW sets the framework, but how hard is it to just say once - as long as we have a 60 day season it will start X, a 45 day season would start X, 30 day season would start X. Stupid.

I agree. Deer season for instance, October 1st bow and November 15th gun. for YEARS it has been the same. :thumbsup:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Has anybody heard anything yet? Season is comming up fast and I need to put I need to put in for time off soon!!
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

season dates

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:38 pm

Dates have been recommended by CWAC...NRC will ratify at their meeting on the 8th. They usually go the way CWAC recommends.

DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:46 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Dates have been recommended by CWAC...NRC will ratify at their meeting on the 8th. They usually go the way CWAC recommends.

So we should know by the middle of the month then?
NuffDaddy
hunter

season dates

Postby LayedOut » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:21 am

"Down in front...Commin right down the middle, LOCKED and LOADED...........TAKE EM"
LayedOut
Forum Moderator

Postby dankoustas » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:32 am

LayedOut wrote:http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum ... ?p=4199142

What I just read there, at least for zone 3, looks great !!!
dankoustas
hunter

Postby sws002 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:51 pm

I'm pumped to see the 4 day late split, gonna have to make plans to hit that up.
sws002
hunter

season dates

Postby LayedOut » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:01 pm

dankoustas wrote:
LayedOut wrote:http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum ... ?p=4199142

What I just read there, at least for zone 3, looks great !!!

Ya I was pretty happy with those dates. Always hope for some later starts but I know it works out for the puddle duck guys.
"Down in front...Commin right down the middle, LOCKED and LOADED...........TAKE EM"
LayedOut
Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:13 pm

At the end of last season I heard that the zones might change some and Maby put the bay in a zone of itself. Did anything happen with this, or is it the same?
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby LUV2DUChunt » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:21 pm

Still can't understand how/why they came to the conclusion to end the season in Zone 3 on a friday...as long as i can remember the season has ended on a sunday!!! So this year the last weekend is the weekend of thankgsgiving :mad: :huh:
Jason

Get out and Hunt!!! Then youll understand what an addiction is. We all know about it but can't explain it.
LUV2DUChunt
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:46 pm

The reason why it ends this year on a friday was because they added 2 days to the late season to make it a 4 day split. They did this for the sw guys who originally wanted a 9 day split. So if you can only hunt weekends this kinda sucks for you but it is what it is. for you guys that have lots of questions i suggest joining michigan sportsman and looking at the forums there. very informative
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:47 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:At the end of last season I heard that the zones might change some and Maby put the bay in a zone of itself. Did anything happen with this, or is it the same?

No they didn't change any of the zoning.
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:50 pm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Aug. 10, 2012

Contacts: Barbara Avers, 517-373-1263 or Ed Golder, 517-335-3014

NRC approves waterfowl season dates for 2012-13

Michigan goose hunters will enjoy a longer season and duck hunters will be able to take up to four scaup daily this year according to regulations that were approved by the Natural Resources Commission in Lansing yesterday.

The early Canada goose hunting season begins statewide Saturday, Sept. 1 and runs through Monday, Sept. 10 in the North Zone and in Saginaw, Tuscola and Huron counties; and through Saturday, Sept. 15 in the rest of the state. The daily bag limit is five.

The length of the regular Canada goose season has increased to 92 days. The daily bag limit is two. Regular goose season dates are:

North Zone: Sept. 22 - Dec. 22
Middle Zone: Sept. 29 - Dec. 29
South Zone (excluding goose management units below): Sept. 22-23, Oct. 6 -Nov. 30 and Dec. 29 - Jan. 1

The goose seasons in designated goose management units (GMU), where the daily bag limit is two, are:
Tuscola/Huron and Saginaw County GMUs: Sept. 22-25 and Oct. 6 - Jan. 1
Muskegon County Wastewater GMU: Oct. 9 - Nov. 13 and Dec. 1-23
Allegan County GMU: Oct. 6 - Nov. 25, Dec. 8-23, and Dec. 29 - Jan. 22, 2013

The late goose season – in the South Zone only and excluding the GMUs listed above – is Jan. 12 - Feb. 10, 2013. The daily bag limit is five.

Hunters may take 20 snow, blue or Ross geese daily and one white-fronted goose and one Brant during the regular and late seasons in respective zones and GMUs.

Duck hunting seasons are set for:
North Zone (Upper Peninsula): Sept. 22 - Nov. 16 and Nov. 22-25
Middle Zone: Sept. 29 - Nov. 25 and Dec. 15-16
South Zone: Oct. 6 - Nov. 30 and Dec. 29 - Jan. 1
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:58 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Aug. 10, 2012

Contacts: Barbara Avers, 517-373-1263 or Ed Golder, 517-335-3014

NRC approves waterfowl season dates for 2012-13

Michigan goose hunters will enjoy a longer season and duck hunters will be able to take up to four scaup daily this year according to regulations that were approved by the Natural Resources Commission in Lansing yesterday.

The early Canada goose hunting season begins statewide Saturday, Sept. 1 and runs through Monday, Sept. 10 in the North Zone and in Saginaw, Tuscola and Huron counties; and through Saturday, Sept. 15 in the rest of the state. The daily bag limit is five.

The length of the regular Canada goose season has increased to 92 days. The daily bag limit is two. Regular goose season dates are:

North Zone: Sept. 22 - Dec. 22
Middle Zone: Sept. 29 - Dec. 29
South Zone (excluding goose management units below): Sept. 22-23, Oct. 6 -Nov. 30 and Dec. 29 - Jan. 1

The goose seasons in designated goose management units (GMU), where the daily bag limit is two, are:
Tuscola/Huron and Saginaw County GMUs: Sept. 22-25 and Oct. 6 - Jan. 1
Muskegon County Wastewater GMU: Oct. 9 - Nov. 13 and Dec. 1-23
Allegan County GMU: Oct. 6 - Nov. 25, Dec. 8-23, and Dec. 29 - Jan. 22, 2013

The late goose season – in the South Zone only and excluding the GMUs listed above – is Jan. 12 - Feb. 10, 2013. The daily bag limit is five.

Hunters may take 20 snow, blue or Ross geese daily and one white-fronted goose and one Brant during the regular and late seasons in respective zones and GMUs.

Duck hunting seasons are set for:
North Zone (Upper Peninsula): Sept. 22 - Nov. 16 and Nov. 22-25
Middle Zone: Sept. 29 - Nov. 25 and Dec. 15-16
South Zone: Oct. 6 - Nov. 30 and Dec. 29 - Jan. 1

Just got this email as well. I like how they made the duck and goose season at the same time. It was always hard to remember when they were closed and when they were open.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby lockemandrockem » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:30 pm

I'm heading up to Menominee County for Labor day on vacation. Since I can't be in MN for the opener, I'd love to shoot a few Geese in Michigan. Does anyone know any guides that I could use in the area? Will be available saturday, sunday, and monday.
lockemandrockem
Newb

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting