Drought, what are we going to do?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Drought, what are we going to do?

Postby Bandedbrothers » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:29 pm

This up coming season does not look like its going to be good for the lil swaps, obviously we will be seeing more hunters out on the big waters. I like the lil honey holes filled with woodies. what are we gonna do now since we havent had much rain and I hope this year opening is not going to be so warm like last year. Many of swaps I pass are just drained. what do you guys expect will happen for this season?
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Re: Drought, what are we going to do?

Postby 799OT » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:16 pm

I've been seeing a hive of activity in my normal spots in both northern Michigana and southeast Michigan. Although these are just puddle ducks, I'm hoping the mild winter helped nutrition and feeding and then the warm summer will yield a ton of good healthy ducks and geese. But we shall see in a few months!
"Gull."
"Go?"
"NO!"
799OT
Newb

Postby Bandedbrothers » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:04 pm

yea but no rain and this hot heat means more ponds being dried up like crazy. Ive been seeing geese but hardly any puddle ducks
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:59 pm

I live onthe shiawassee river and it is currently about 4' low. I have not seen it this low in 10 years so that tells me that the holes it feeds are pretty low if not dry. not looking good for me.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:57 pm

My number two and three honey holes are completely dry.
My second best spot is a five acre ravine that is usually 3ft or more deep in water and littered with woodies mallards and teal.
None of that is there now... In a matter of a month 4,900,500 gallons disappeared, not sure if it can recover for couple of years.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:53 am

Luckily this drought doesn't hurt me to much because most of my hunting is done on lake erie or fields. But it will be interesting to see what is and isnt cut for early goose. I feel for you guys that have had your honey holes dried up though. Hopefully august and september bring downpours of rain
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:41 pm

Yea it is going to be a weird year, hopefully opening day we wont have to hunting out in our swim suits! I mean its getting worse each and everyday. Yes we have had rain but nothing to do good for these ponds. I know where I am heading though for opening.
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting