Pointe Mouillee

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Pointe Mouillee

Postby MallardMan5 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:51 pm

Im from southeastern michigan and Ive been wanting to try hunting Pointe Mouillee for a while now. Im just kind of wondering how the hunting is out there (both the general hunting areas and the permit only zones). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
MallardMan5
hunter

Re: Pointe Mouillee

Postby dankoustas » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:23 am

Hi Mallardman, Pointe Mouillee is a great place to hunt, with the managed zones opened on Sunday and Wednesday, and the rest of the area open for hunting everyday. I have seen guys use kayaks, mud boats and outboards in the different units and you can walk or bikeride in as well. If you have a bigger boat you can hunt the outside along the Banana Dike. Go to the DNR website and print up the map and do some scouting. To walk the dikes after September you have to have a free permit which you get from their office.
dankoustas
hunter

Postby MallardMan5 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Thanks for the advice. Anyone else have input?
MallardMan5
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Just went there to scouted and the water is down so low but it is good hunting down there. This year it might not be if we do not get water sown there. I mean it was very shallow, yo get to our spot you couldn't get there without a mud motor unlike last season it was fine (well late season was fine). I guess i cant say anything about opening since I wasn't down there opening. Hope this helps a bit.
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby dankoustas » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:04 am

Bandedbrothers wrote:Just went there to scouted and the water is down so low but it is good hunting down there. This year it might not be if we do not get water sown there. I mean it was very shallow, yo get to our spot you couldn't get there without a mud motor unlike last season it was fine (well late season was fine). I guess i cant say anything about opening since I wasn't down there opening. Hope this helps a bit.

They have the ability to pump water in and out and they usually bring water in just before the season.
Dan
dankoustas
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:28 pm

Oh alright cool. Thanks for the info
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby RMCFAR720 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:27 pm

Thinking about going out to Mouillee this weekend. Any word on the action out there?
RMCFAR720
Newb

Postby Bandedbrothers » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Info check, they do not have access to sum water in the lake, makes no sense either, it would just go out to sea you would need thousands upon thousands of gallons of water to do so. Hunted there opener and there was no water at all added. there were birds flying ever where but ppl were sky busting like usually. the next day it slowed down a lot and no one shot
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting