Grosse Ile Hunting

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Grosse Ile Hunting

Postby turtle8081 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:30 pm

I'm a newbie to this forum and looking for information on all types of hunting around Grosse Ile, MI. I just purchased a house on the island and would appreciate any information on rules, regs, and locations that you could provide (especially hunting waterfowl).

Thanks in advance.
turtle8081
Newb

Postby maddiedog » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:47 am

I have never hunted there but I hear good things about it.
maddiedog
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:05 pm

i live in grosse ile and hunt the area alot, send me a PM and well talk
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lawnboy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:36 pm

I have been hunting the area for years. Just about every type of duck that you can think of will be coming through the area. One problem may be finding a location to hunt. A lot of hunters all over S.E. Michigan come this way so spots fill up quickly. This is the reason why many have turned to layouts or hunting during the week. The price of gas and with limited bag limits have eased the congestion the last year or two though.
lawnboy
hunter

Det River / Lake Erie

Postby cshire » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:10 pm

What is the story with hunting the main river east of GI? Is this area open to hunting? I believe GI township has a no hunting ordinance, does this apply to Det River and Lake Erie waters as well?

Wasn't Brownstown considering a similar hunting ban and would that apply to Lake Erie waters? (like off the metropark, Milleville area).

I'm restoring a traditional sneak boat that should be ready in a couple of weeks and would like to hunt these areas if they are open.

Thanks for any help.
cshire
hunter

Postby lawnboy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:58 pm

The water falls under federal control so local laws do not apply. This is why so many can hunt up on lake St. Clair where most of the community’s have no hunting ordinances.
lawnboy
hunter

Postby cshire » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:26 pm

That's what I thought about Lake Erie but I wasn't sure about the river. How far upriver is open to hunting? I'm guessing there is a limit somewhere - are waters off Wyandotte open, like around Grass and Mud Island?

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to some open water hunting this year.
cshire
hunter

Postby lawnboy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:32 pm

From my understanding it is ok. I know guys that hunt all over that area
lawnboy
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:28 pm

yea it fine you just can't be on the island hunting but you can hunt the island if the area you are hunting is normally covered during high or normal water height
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cshire » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:46 pm

Thanks for the info. I also read somewhere that the river islands that are part of the refuge are open to the high water mark.

Let me know if anyone wants to get together and hunt from a sneakboat later this season.
cshire
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting