Harsen's Island

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Harsen's Island

Postby slimjim338 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Hey anyone have any word on the field conditions at Harsen's Island WMA? Have been drawn to hunt Sunday PM.

Thanks
slimjim338
hunter

Re: Harsen's Island

Postby Baher20018 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:38 am

I got drawn for Sunday pm as well! I went over to HI last weekend to check out the WMA. It looked like they were still pumping In Water. The corn looked really good from the road and the ducks were flying all over. All the gates were closed for the parking lots still so we didn't venture in anywhere just looked on from the roads.

Question for you..... Being drawn can you have a party of 4 total with you? So me and three buddies?
Baher20018
hunter

Postby slimjim338 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:45 pm

Baher20018 wrote:I got drawn for Sunday pm as well! I went over to HI last weekend to check out the WMA. It looked like they were still pumping In Water. The corn looked really good from the road and the ducks were flying all over. All the gates were closed for the parking lots still so we didn't venture in anywhere just looked on from the roads.

Question for you..... Being drawn can you have a party of 4 total with you? So me and three buddies?

Nice, well at least there is water going in. I keep trying to call the office for conditions but they are always closed. hopefully enough water to get a small jon boat down the channel....not interested in walking too far to my zone.

Ya it's my understanding that max party size is 4.

Just reading through the units rules and regs and it say you must use a dog in some zones that are posted in the office. What? do you know what zones that may be? the marsh maybe?
slimjim338
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:54 pm

Have you not been to Harsens Island before? They have some blinds were you have to bring a dog I think it's number 16 22 and maybe a few more. I think they incentivize to bring dogs because I know in the winter time or when it starts to get cooler and the Water in the blinds start to freeze little bit they get rid of the dogs only blinds and open them all up to everybody.

As far as being able to get your boat down to the blinds or the hunting areas it looked like to me as if there was enough water.
Baher20018
hunter

Postby slimjim338 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:35 am

Spoke with Roy in the office this morning. Couldn't really get a whole lot of info out of him about water levels in the hunting zones. He said best thing you can do is come for your hunt and we will announce what water levels are and where those levels are. Said conditions are changing day to day. He did say that not all fields were holding water at this time. Marshes were holding a good amount of water he did say, west marsh had more than the east marsh. Zones dog must be in 7 16 22 35 38 73
slimjim338
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:40 pm

well I'm am going to be optomistic use my draw and head over there the weekend and hope to have a good hunt. good luck, be safe and have fun.
Baher20018
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting