Disabled Vet from Tennnessee needing help

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

Disabled Vet from Tennnessee needing help

Postby relocatedduckman » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Howdy yall. My name is Chris Hower. I'm a 28 year old DAV from Tennessee. I'm orig from Montana but relocated with my family to TN from Hawaii after I got hurt in the military. I won a guided duck hunt from the NWTF banquet here in Nashville this spring. I've set up my hunt with the 2 parties involved for November 6,7. I'm looking at getting there one day early to try my hand at freelancing somewhere. I'll be hunting somewhere between flint/Saginaw/Bay city. Not looking for GPS coords. Not looking for your secret spots. I'm just looking for a place I can go with maybe 1 dozen decoys, a pair of waders and see what trouble I can get into. Can yall point me in a direction of some public spots where I may be able to hammer some birds? just WMA names will suffice for me.

Thanks yall

Chris Hower
615-715-48tree7
relocatedduckman
hunter

Re: Disabled Vet from Tennnessee needing help

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:06 am

anywhere along the Saginaw bay there are public access points that you can walk out of. And fish point, nayanquin (sp?) point, and shiawassee river SGA are all WMAs within 45min of Saginaw. Shiawassee could be a little iffy without a boat though if it's a busy day and you get a bad draw. Good luck. These can all be very good or very bad. Depending on the weather, migration, and neer by hunters (skybusters).
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby relocatedduckman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:11 pm

I appreciate the info. Are there any maps for the WMA's that I can get online?
relocatedduckman
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:23 pm

Yeah. Here is a map and rules of shiawassee http://www.michigandnr.com/publications ... GA_map.pdf
Fish point http://www.michigandnr.com/publications ... gd_map.pdf
Nayanquing point http://www.michigandnr.com/publications ... WA_map.pdf
If you want any more info on them just do a google search and you should find a lot of info. Make sure you get ahold of the HQ before you plan a hunt there to check conditions. Water is low this year up here and some WMAs may have limited hunting opportunities this fall. If you decide to hunt the bay play the wind. If there is a strong offshore wind there won't be water for 300 yards or more from any cover. So hunt the other side of the bay.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:28 pm

I guess the links aren't working. Just google search the name of the place then "map". (fish point map). Open the PDF files.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby TopGunMich » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:10 pm

I cant make any guarantees but I will prob be in the Sag, BC, Midland area field hunting then and you could join me. I also could go duck hunting, depends on wx, fields, birds, etc. Have to be safe, no drugs/drunks, or Dbags !

Send me a msg a wk or so before and get ahold of you! Work may interfer.

Brian J. (also veteran)
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:44 pm

If it doesn't work with top gun I will be hunting the bay and the above mentioned WMAs and you could tag along if you want. I'm 18 and me and my dad started waterfowl hunting 3 years ago so we aren't by any means the best but we could probably get you on a few ducks. Just PM me.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby relocatedduckman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:06 pm

Thank you for your offers. I may take yall up on it. Thanks for the info as well. Looking forward to hunting back up north again!!
relocatedduckman
hunter

Postby relocatedduckman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:50 am

I am driving up to Saginaw on Sunday. Anyone know of any decent campgrounds in the area?
relocatedduckman
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:27 pm

relocatedduckman wrote:I am driving up to Saginaw on Sunday. Anyone know of any decent campgrounds in the area?

Bay city state park is the only one I know of. But I'm not a camper so I don't really know where the campgrounds are around here. The state park is right on the bay and is less than an hour from 3 WMAs and within 5 minuites of a boat launch to the bay.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby TopGunMich » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:42 pm

theres alot of cheap hotels around, the weather has been 45, wind 20-30mph. The Fish pte lodge used to have a bunk house and camping spots, 1 mile from Fish Pte game area, 20 miles east of Bay City.
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby relocatedduckman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:47 pm

I'm not too worried about the cold. I can run the heater in the camper and I'll be TOASTY. lol. But after calling a bunch of places. I may just get a hotel. Looks like there are only a few open during the winter. And they are 15-20 min from any huntable area. hmmmmmm
relocatedduckman
hunter

Postby TopGunMich » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:10 pm

they have a camper lot at fish pte SGMA, Fish PTE Lodge used to have a few spots too and hot food!
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby TopGunMich » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Look up Fishpointlodge.com they have rv sites, boats, blinds , etc. The SGMA is a mile down rd, big gravel lot, usually a few rvs in there. 20 miles west of Bay City on M25.
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby relocatedduckman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:05 pm

I was hoping for a little closer. ohh well.. I may just stay at a hotel.. Much easier to deal with. lol. I'm going to find where I want to go on Monday.. then find a hotel..
relocatedduckman
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:12 pm

I never thaught about camping at fish point WMA That would be my recanendation. No utilities but i dont think they even charge or it is very cheep. Always is a few campers there.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby relocatedduckman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:20 pm

we are going out of bay city on Tuesday. So i prefer not to have to drive 20 min to the ramp the day of the hunt. lol.. Im kinda lazy like that. LOL..
relocatedduckman
hunter

Postby relocatedduckman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Leaving tomorrow!! Get some!!
relocatedduckman
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:53 am

Good luck. Not many ducks around right now. Hurricane pushed them all out.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby relocatedduckman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:05 pm

Anyone going tomorrow and need another gun?
relocatedduckman
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting