Migration Report

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Migration Report

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:07 pm

luv2hunt2 wrote:Never made it to fish point this year. Was it a bust?

hit and miss. Took till end of oct before they got decent water in the fields. Had a couple good days the last week of oct where they got almost 500 ducks on one day. We were there 2 days after that and me and a buddy got 10 and ran out of shells. Saw several good zones near us limit. Other than that the most we got 6 one day then never over 3 after that and got skunked once. Went there 14 times this year.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Re: Migration Report

Postby luv2hunt2 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:04 pm

Any good tips for finding some geese for the late season? :smile:
luv2hunt2
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:00 pm

luv2hunt2 wrote:Any good tips for finding some geese for the late season? :smile:

Drive around and look for them....

Oh and don't pee into a brisk wind.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:28 pm

luv2hunt2 wrote:Any good tips for finding some geese for the late season? :smile:

that's a good question. Went through a half tank of gas today and hiked about 5 miles. Only saw one small flock flying. Got some leads on an area to check out this weekend. Maybe I'll get lucky.

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby luv2hunt2 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:28 pm

Set the decoys into the wind in a partially flooded picked corn field. Peed down wind a few times. We shot 7 geese tonight. I'll never pee into the wind again...thanks for the tip. :biggrin:
luv2hunt2
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 pm

luv2hunt2 wrote:Set the decoys into the wind in a partially flooded picked corn field. Peed down wind a few times. We shot 7 geese tonight. I'll never pee into the wind again...thanks for the tip. :biggrin:

:lol3:
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 pm

Anybody still seeing any geese after this cold blast?? They seemed to really move out of here along with what was left of the mallards.

NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby luv2hunt2 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:48 pm

OH YA ...I feel like a 8 year old on Christmas eve....Cant wait until Sat!!!!!!
luv2hunt2
hunter

Postby Joshua » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:23 pm

These forums are slow huh?

I too am excited for this weekend, hopefully my spots in Allegan and barry counties will be better than my zone 1 and 2 spots, so far I am only sitting at 2 ducks and a goose. no wood ducks up here compared to previous years, but where I am in Leelanau county we still had ice on most lakes april 20th and frost advisories into the first week of june, might have been too cold for the wood duck chicks.
Joshua
hunter

Postby luv2hunt2 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:05 am

We had an excellent early goose season.My partner and I shot 18 geese in about 15 hrs of hunting time. Baged 4 ducks opening weekend in the UP. We still have about 600 geese working our area., Ducks on the other hand are spoty. We will hit some honey holes this weekend in between chasing the canadians. The weather looks to be a changing next week. That may help a bit. If anyone gets to Fish point...please post whats happening there. The water situation should be good this year. I was told they did some work on the canals and that the problem is solved. I was not lucky enough to get in there this weekend. OH well... Good luck to all.
luv2hunt2
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:12 am

Hey guys how's it looking out there? It's been a slow movement for ducks, Ive been seeing a ton of geese in the south zone. Went to crow island for opener and it was a crap shoot. Saw a lot of coots, I mean a lot, didn't see many mallards. Saw some teal and gadwalls. Tons of geese near crow island. Not much going on with the ducks right now, I heard Lake Erie had some what of birds but my buddy said they didn't get any bc of sky busters. Let us know what you guys have seen?
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:47 pm

We had a small push of mallards and woodies since early goose on the west side, nothing big yet.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Getting a lot of pintail and full color drake Mallards but only one goose so far during the regular season, seems like a lot of them have moved on from my spot.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby luv2hunt2 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:15 pm

Goose hunting has been great around Lapeer county. Finding a few Mallards and woodys in smaller hard to get to water holes. Setting up in the morning and waiting for the ducks to return. a lot of birds seem to be flying after shooting time in the evenings. Mornings have produced most of our birds so far. Been waiting to hear anything out of Fish point...but I figure its a few weeks early for any good duck numbers.Keep the posts up. Its great to hear how everyone is doing.
luv2hunt2
hunter

Postby BootsUpDucks2121 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:40 pm

Made it back to MI this weekend to hunt with my cousin and uncle. The birds are in, get it while you can. Went out of Quanicasee. We were 3 birds short of a 3 man limit and easily could have filled that if we didn't have to leave at 1pm for a family engagement. All in all we too 6 Redheads, 5 Scaup, 2 Ruddies and 2 nice Canvasbacks (those were #7 and 8 on the year thus far. Lots of Cans in the area). Not sure about the mallards but the divers are thick. Moved all day long, constant shooting and action.
"There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes"
BootsUpDucks2121
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:19 pm

Hunted the bay saturday hen we had the gust of wind and a little rain and saw a bunch of divers but I will say that is only a small push, migration is slowly starting, we saw about a few thousand divers coming in and kept moving all day but the wind was so bad ducks were at a stand still flying into the wind. We will be seeing way way more once the migration has really started. I heard that day fish point, guys took 400 birds!!! 110 parties, we went out sunday and shot 4, it was a slow day obviously since day before they lite them up, the 20s and 30s were not good but guys were pounding them it sounded like on the 50s. We were the only ones i believe that shot the most on 20s and 30s.
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby luv2hunt2 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:15 pm

I was there on the 31st. I was in ,68 and everything was turning over 66. They did very well. I was in 12 on Nov. 2nd and we scratched out one hooded merg. On Nov. 5 I was in 10 and shot 3 mallards. I haven't had a good draw yet and when it's good duck weather....the place is loaded even during the week. I hunt alone most of the time so I have to pass to get into a good place most of the time. I hope to get there again soon. I am hoping the flight ducks will be here soon. Seems to be a little behind this year.
luv2hunt2
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:30 pm

Was there on Sat in area 68. 66 and I were the only ones shooting. They fired about 15 rounds and dropped 2 that I seen but searched for one until quitting time then gave up. I fired once at some high redheads and dropped a beautiful full color drake but other than that the 20's and 50's were shooting like crazy even without much cover, I will try again next weekend.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:57 am

Anyone been to fishpoint recently? Anything there?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby luv2hunt2 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:20 pm

I was going to fish point on Sunday but heard that the ice is pretty heavy in most areas. I also got word that they have shifted to self registration due to lack of hunters. I sure would welcome any reports from there because I would like to get there one more time during this warm up.
luv2hunt2
hunter

Postby luv2hunt2 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:10 pm

I called fish point today. The news is not pretty. Couple hunters braved the ice with chainsaw in hand in zone 5. How much they cut is unknown. The ducks that are around there are hitting the near by dry corn fields. Some are trying their luck in the 70s without a lot of success. I was told you could see shore ice as far as you can see. It looks like the season is done for that area. The weather forecast is not pretty after Wednesday. Maybe we'll get a thaw for the last few days later in the month. It sure seems like the season flew by. I'm hoping to get on some late season geese. Good luck to anyone who still has a descent place to hunt birds.
luv2hunt2
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:42 pm

if anyone is hunting geese now or late season and needs help in the blind let me know, I have full body and shells along with some wind socks. Also have my coffin blind ready to go. :biggrin:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Previous

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting