trouble with the ducks

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

trouble with the ducks

Postby Hunterslovereadheads » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:53 am

Hey can someone help us me and my dad cant hit a ducj unless its on thw water we have patterned our guns and yhey shot amazing bit when it comes to killing them on the fly we cant do it were shooting remington 887 express pump and a remington 870 and were both shooting hevi-metal
Hunterslovereadheads
Newb

Re: trouble with the ducks

Postby southernsoldier » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:01 pm

What choke tube? what size shot? what length shells? do you practice in the off season shooting clays? do you rabbit hunt any? All this would help you know where you stand on your shooting..... me personally........ i shoot an 11-87, 3 in shells 4 or 6 shot, full choke (yes full) and we shoot skeet and rabbit hunt in the off season, it helps your target aquisition skills. now let me explain my choice of choke and shot size........ i used to shoot a modified with #2's or even BB at times and i had about 70 % accuracy..... i then hunted with a guide here in south LA and he told me to take a challenge and drop down a shot size or even two (i went to 4's) and go UP a choke tube size (i went to full) .... after having done so my accuracy went up to almost 95% sometimes even 100%.... i made several hunts last year shooting in flooded timber where i was 1 for 1 on the whole hunt.... i can honestly say that it worked for me..... hope that helps!
southernsoldier
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:12 pm

Make sure you keep your head down. I used to have this problem and it still bits me every once and a while. I've always been a good shot when it comes to any kind of practice. (usually over 20 on clay sports). But when the birds came in and I got excited I look over the barrel instead of down it. This will make you shoot 2-3 feet low. That is where I would start. When you pattern your guns make sure you have a dense enough pattern. I think you need around 8 hits on a bird to cleanly kill it every time. So put out a board at 40 yards with paper on it. Shoot in the center then go draw a 30 inch circle around the dencest part. there should be at least 90 pellets in the circle using 2 shot. If there isn't choke up. If there is a lot more choke down. Make sure you are using the right shot size. For little ducks use 4 or 6 shot. For big ducks use. BB-4 shot. For geese use no smaller than BB. And keeping all I your shots between 20 and 30 yards will help a ton. Good luck. Also try the shotgun forum and see it they can help.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby goosman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:06 pm

Southernsoldier and Nuffdaddy both make good points however my experience is a little different. I believe with all the advancements made with wadds and pellet configuration I havnt used a full choke in about 3 years and my Crew and I shoot at around 90% kill ratio. We all shoot sporting clays and 5 stand alot in the off season. I shoot either my maxus or my citori with Improved cylinder with 3 1/2 in # 1s 1 1/4oz 1625 Kents becuase I love the velocity I switch up guns somedays becuase if u shoot alot of those 1625's with the over/under it stings a bit. I diver hunt alot and diving birds with my dog really suck. In open water. And I'm never really shooting much outside of 35 yards. That's with all ducks except teal and woodys I use 3 1/2 inch #3 1 3/8oz 1550s just cuz ya tear em up with ones. That's what I have had success with as well as my 2 regular hunting partners I think the need for a full choke is for skybusting scabs alot of the time unless that's the only way u can get a good pattern. I pattern my maxus and with a full choke at 30 yrds it's way to dense about the size of a volley ball witch for me is too tight I like open chokes. Now for geese modified and 1 1/2oz 3 1/12 Bb is all o shoot at them good luck hope didn't piss any one off not my intention everyone is a little different.
Last Descent Outfitters (616)723-5429
Waterfowl Guide Service
Timber Hunts
Grain Field Hunts
Open Water Layout Diver Hunts
Big boat/pontoon blind
goosman
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:36 pm

With 3" fasteel out of my 870 I get about a 18" pattern at 30 yards with a full choke. And I can get suffucient pattern density out to 50 yards. But I usually use the mod witch gives me around a 30" pattern at 30 yards which is about the distance that most of my decoying ducks are. Only time I use the full choke is If I'm having an off day and I crippling birds. That might seem the opposite I what you would think but the reason they are crippled is because I'm hitting them with the edge of the pattern that isn't dense enough for a clean kill. The full choke tires it up so they either are stone dead or a complete miss. The only other time I use a full is for pass shooting geese. Just something else to think of.
Oh. And I think I've solved my "looking over the barrel" habit. I baught 2 fiber optic bead sites. One green one red. I put the green one half way down the rail and the red one at the end by the stock bead. If you see red your off. If all you see is green dot your good to go. Tried that out Monday and I think it really helped my shooting. Hope this helps if that is your problem.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Hunterslovereadheads » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:53 am

Thanks for all the help guys im going out tonight and so imma try using a mod choke and my 887 has the green and red sights so i think imma slow down a bit before blasting and make sure im looking with my sight cause i that is a huge part of my problem
Hunterslovereadheads
Newb

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:53 am

Hunterslovereadheads wrote:Thanks for all the help guys im going out tonight and so imma try using a mod choke and my 887 has the green and red sights so i think imma slow down a bit before blasting and make sure im looking with my sight cause i that is a huge part of my problem

Good luck. Shoot um up.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby TopGunMich » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:32 pm

what where your last 5 scores at the skeet range? Or sporting clay?
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting