Courtesy Space

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Courtesy Space

Postby SteveCalvird » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:05 am

Hello,

I have a question I wanted to ask you guys. This is my second year duck hunting and I want to make sure I've learned one of the "unspoken rules" correctly.

What is an acceptable distance between hunters' spreads?
The reason I ask?

I arrived to the public area I hunt on very early. I was the first hunter to set up. About 30 mins after I was done setting up more hunters showed up and set up a little under 100 yards to my right and left. This seemed awfully close to me. Is there a distance hunter's should give each other or am I wrong about this?
SteveCalvird
hunter

Re: Courtesy Space

Postby blackduckkilla13 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:49 am

Hundred yards is real close. Not only from an ethical point but from a safety point of view. There is not much you can do though except move if you feel pressured. I have talked politely with a few guys after the hunt to let them know what impact their decision has on you. If the issue escalates a CO has always been a good arbitrator for disputes. Sorry to hear. Good luck
blackduckkilla13
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:31 pm

I usually try and have at least a 200 yard min and preferably 300-400 yards. Depends on the pressure. If there are guys everywhere then it gets tighter but if not I try to make it where I can't see any other spreads.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:40 am

Depends on the circumstances.

I layout hunt. In popular places, 1/2 mile between spreads. In places that are not popular, I expect at least a mile.
g_maxson
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting