Anybody deer hunting?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Anybody deer hunting?

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:25 am

Been sitting here all mornin and only saw 5 does/fawns and a spike.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Re: Anybody deer hunting?

Postby goosman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:56 pm

I stay home before I would deer hunt it's so damn boring
Last Descent Outfitters (616)723-5429
Waterfowl Guide Service
Timber Hunts
Grain Field Hunts
Open Water Layout Diver Hunts
Big boat/pontoon blind
goosman
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:11 pm

Our buck pole so far from oscoda.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:21 pm

See if this one makes the cut.
2 busted up 8s that are 5 and 7 points and one 7 point. This is after day 2.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:02 am

Northern Michigan buck. Now it's back to the marsh.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby TopGunMich » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:22 pm

Stop shooting little bucks and shoot does! All these yearling and 2 yr old bucks get shot right away, and they are smaller than most does! They need to make a rule change or limit buck licenses!!
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:49 am

TopGunMich wrote:Stop shooting little bucks and shoot does! All these yearling and 2 yr old bucks get shot right away, and they are smaller than most does! They need to make a rule change or limit buck licenses!!

You can go sit in your corn field and food plots and shoot all the big deer you want. Up here in the TB zone in the Huron National Forest the deer population is down so low and food is scarce. Not to mention the thousands of hunters that flood the woods that are "brown it's down" hunters. Now I agree that the rules should be changed to better the deer population, but untill then I'm going to be pulling the trigger on that deer every time. Just to give you an example; In the 7 years I've been hunting, that is the 4th biggest deer I've ever seen up there. And this is my second biggest deer I've ever shot. In the last 2 years of hunting morning and night at least 2 days a week for all of bow and rifle season I have yet to see a 3 year old buck. Now I know I'm not helping the cause any but I can almost guarantee that deer would not have made it another year. If you have a pic of a deer that you shot that was bigger than this that you shot from anywhere inside the TB zone I would like to see it. I bet your one of those people that sees a 10 year old kid with a spike and gets pissed off. Your the downfall of traditional hunting.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:25 am

Got 4 at the processer and one hanging in the garage to go tonight. This last one was a beast of a doe at about 175 dressed on my Cabalas scale. I have a few more doe permits I am saving for Muzzleloader season to try out my new TC .50 Triumph.. :biggrin:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:01 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:Got 4 at the processer and one hanging in the garage to go tonight. This last one was a beast of a doe at about 175 dressed on my Cabalas scale. I have a few more doe permits I am saving for Muzzleloader season to try out my new TC .50 Triumph.. :biggrin:

Dang. My buck dressed out at 130. Heading out for muzzleloader too to try and take out a couple more does to finish filling the freezer.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:40 pm

Latest doe, Just dropped her off
P1010538.JPG

Opening day 6 point dressed at 125
P1010533.JPG

and opener my 2 does with buddys 4 point. all 3 dressed around 115
P1010524.JPG

This is looking at my ground blind (out my south window) from my tower stand. I can usually see 15 to 20 deer within 200 yds any day after 4pm.
P1010519.JPG

But this is the last year of beans on this 100 and is being turned into an organic only farm, will have to see what that does to the deer population here.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:50 am

Looks like you had a good opener. I sat all day the first 4 days of the season and only saw 18 deer total. But I'm hunting thick aspen and pine stands with less than 100 yards visibility. Hopefully you don't loose your honey hole when the beans are done.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby blackduckkilla13 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:50 pm

why is it that guys like topgunmich feel they have the right to tell others what to hunt for? Let each person choose what he/ she would like to take with the tag? I would like to congratulate anyone on this thread who harvested a deer. I don't tell others like topgunwhat to take, so if you don't agree shut your mouth and keep your opinions to yourself. Not everyone hunts the same area, sees the same buck structure, nor wants QDM. Congrats on the deer guys and don't let others ruin what you enjoy to do. Same arguments with hens/ ducks or mergs. Let others do what they want as long as it's legal.
blackduckkilla13
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:58 pm

blackduckkilla13 wrote:why is it that guys like topgunmich feel they have the right to tell others what to hunt for? Let each person choose what he/ she would like to take with the tag? I would like to congratulate anyone on this thread who harvested a deer. I don't tell others like topgunwhat to take, so if you don't agree shut your mouth and keep your opinions to yourself. Not everyone hunts the same area, sees the same buck structure, nor wants QDM. Congrats on the deer guys and don't let others ruin what you enjoy to do. Same arguments with hens/ ducks or mergs. Let others do what they want as long as it's legal.

I agree with most of this with the exception of the Hens. I would love to see a ban on hens for a year or so, but I would not push the issue or my opinion onto others like topgunmich was doing. We have an over abundance of Doe in my area hence the basically unlimited doe tags available so I make use of this quality deer management QDM option. but I do the best I can and enforce it on my children to leave the hens alone.

Mel

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:49 pm

We started doing out own version of QDM about 5 years ago. We put in 4 1 acre food plots and set a 3 points on one side (brow tines don't count) and a 2.5 year old minimum. The 32 years before that that my dad owned the camp they shot every buck they saw and would seldome see anything more than a 4 point. Now by just doing this little bit on our 160 acres we are starting to see higher quality bucks like the 4 we got this season. We also strictly limit our doe harvest due to the low population. I never push my opinion on someone else nor do I let others opinions affect me.
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby gaustin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:36 pm

Congrats on the deer harvest everyone, I live in lower Michigan and the population took a big hit with EHD or "Blue Tongue". Lots of Big Bucks died off before the season started. Buddies of mine that QDM the areas they hunt are not even seeing a deer this season {Buck or Doe}. The disease tooks its toll on the herd around here. Last season we had a week long doe hunt in Sept on private land, this year it was two days, cant see the DNR having a early season next year.
gaustin
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting