New Guy

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

New Guy

Postby MantonMan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:47 am

Hello Everyone. This is my first post on here as well as my first actual waterfowl season. I'm currently enlisted in the US Army Infantry and got back from a 12 month deployment in Afghanistan back in May. I'm stationed at Fort Wainwright Alaska and had my first duck season up here.I started because when I went home for mid-deployment leave for a couple weeks, my brother took me out a couple times, and my God... after that these winged, billed creatures have gotten a hold of me and I believe they will never let go again; and afterwards, a decent season up here just put a nail in that coffin. And I already love hunting and being in the outdoors and it's just another activity for that. I don't get out of the army until September of next year but I cannot wait to do some real duck hunting back in good ol' Michigan. Can't wait to do some scouting in my home state, I scouted quite a bit up here in Alaska and I love scouting its like a ritual for me but it's nothing like being in the wilderness back home. So I basically just wanted to get my name out there and maybe get some info and tips from some of y'all who've done this much longer. I've got about a dozen decoys now, I never really set them up any particular way, I was never really sure if it mattered that much, should I ever invest in more someday? I've practiced a lot using duck calls and keep progressively getting better and have a good 6 in 1 for Teal, Pintails, etc. kind of deal and a decent double reed duck call so I'm pretty good on that unless there's something else I should have on my lanyard I don't know about. I have some waders but they are neoprene and those things tear all the time so once I go through this pair should I get some fabrics? Anyways just tips and knowledge would be appreciated. And if anyone here is in the northwestern region (LP) feel free to join me next season. The only other duck hunting buddy I've got is my brother, there's a remote area near my place with a large network of wetland lakes and ponds and we will gladly invite others in our duck blind. Thanks.
MantonMan
hunter

Re: New Guy

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:41 am

:welcome: I live in bay city and usually hunt the saginaw bay. Around here I use 2-5 dozen decoys depending on the area a time of year. I have a cabin by east Jordan in the north west LP. Is that near you? I usually try to make it up there a few times a season. As far as calls I usually have 6 on my lanyard. An acrylic long range duck call, a wood finisher duck call, a short barrel goose call, a goose flute, a whistle, and a wood duck call. As far as decoy rigging if you are using small decoy #s and are hunting 3' of water or less Texas rig them. If you frequent deeper water <25 feet just do the standard string and weight wrapped around the keel. If for some reason you hunt really deep water your going to want to run mother lines. And waders, with the generally cold MI climate you will need neoprene waders. Invest in good thick breathable waders with the tear resistant outer lining and just be carful to avoid snags. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. This site really answered a lot of questions for me.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby MantonMan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:26 pm

Yeah East Jordan is about a couple hours north of me. I appreciate the tips, I will probably look at some more calls and I'll just be real careful with the waders I have now. Over the season which started Sept. 1st up here and by now is definitely over with everything frozen, I usually hunted over water that was never more than 25 feet and I just used standard line and weights on my decoys, I've heard of it but I'm not sure what texas rigging is, but I'll look it up on youtube, thanks.
MantonMan
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:51 pm

You will have to hit me up sometime I got some tips for you :biggrin:

About time you joined up on here!!! TKG
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting