Southern Zone Split - Lake Erie

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Southern Zone Split - Lake Erie

Postby Up North Swamp Thang » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:15 pm

Greetings all,

I am planning a trip with my wife to head south for the late season split. We will be coming down from Emmet County, I will be duck hunting and my wife of course will be shopping. I plan on hunting big water out of my boat blind with some buddies that live in Ferndale and my retreiver. I plan on launching my boat at the "Lake Erie Metropark" and hunting in that vicinity.

I will be going in totally blind in a new area, does any one have any pointers? Any do's, dont's or what-have-you's?

I plan on bringing my gang rigs of buffies, blue bills and ringnecks. I also have an uncle who lives on Harsens Island who I will be reaching out to for opportunities in his area...

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

-Up North Swamp Thang
Up North Swamp Thang
hunter

Re: Southern Zone Split - Lake Erie

Postby dankoustas » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi swamp thing, there are quite a few things to be concerned about hitting Lake Erie at this time of year, and the fact that you are not familiar with the area make things all the more important.

First off, the water is very low right now and can go down 1-2 feet in a matter of hours with a west wind, so keep that in mind.

Next, make sure your boat is in tip-top shape, as you don't want to have motor troubles out there.

Being that you are unfamiliar with the area, I would wait until sun up to launch. You may be anxious to get out there, but in the dark and in unfamiliar territory in late December is a recipe for trouble.

I am sure you will get some other comments from downriver folk, but this is a start.
Dan
dankoustas
hunter

Postby Up North Swamp Thang » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:35 pm

Hey Dan, thanks for the advice!

I plan on getting to the launch right at sunrise on my first day. How many other hunters do you think I am going to piss off motoring around out there? I heard that area gets pretty stacked with hunters on the weekends!

Are there any areas off limits to hunting, or am I safe as long as I remain in my boat and keep the legal distance from any structures?

How low is the water there? Is the bottom and adjacent shorline mostly marshy? I have a lot of experience hunting big water in my area (the mac straights, monuskong, lake huron, drummond island) and aside from monuskong my biggest hazard has been rocks!

And lastly, are there any birds around? I live in petoskey and the little traverse bay is flush with divers, mostly buffleheads and old sqauw (my favorite birds to hunt, and by far the most abundant in my area this season aside from mallards). I can't wait to get out this weekend for our split! Hopefully they find their way southward in the coming weeks!
Up North Swamp Thang
hunter

Postby dankoustas » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:46 am

PM sent
dankoustas
hunter

Postby dankoustas » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:24 am

Just wondering how you guys ended up doing? I only hunted the first day, did pretty good, we got 10 ducks.
Dan
dankoustas
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:27 pm

dankoustas wrote:Just wondering how you guys ended up doing? I only hunted the first day, did pretty good, we got 10 ducks.
Dan

slow for us and most of the guys I talked to up here in the Saginaw bay.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:07 pm

Wish we could have given it a try, but the whole family ended up with the flu after Christmas. No fun. :no: There's still a few geese near my home so the season's not quite over yet for me. :thumbsup:
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting