Help for next year

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Help for next year

Postby badbullgator » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi folks
I am from Florida and my sister lives in MI north of Midland on a dairy/corn farm. She has tried to get me to come up and hunt for years, but they are all about deer. She tells me they have tons of ducks and geese but they don't hunt them at all. So this brings me to my question for you guys.
First off, if I head up next year my hunting will be done on their land so I am not going to be encroaching on you guys spots.
What I want to know is if duck hunters actually feel there are "tons" of ducks and geese in that area. It is hard to take the word of my sister since she knows nothing about duck hunting. I am not expecting Arkansas or Oklahoma numbers, but would it be worth a 20 some hour drive each way to come up early season (I am a quack addict so I don't mind driving to the ends of he earth for duck and go to AR and OK each year). Our season doesn't open until almost thanksgiving, so early season up here would be like early Christmas for me since your season opens right after our gator season ends.
Anyway, any help, thoughts, or advice you would be willing to share would be great. Again I am not asking for your "spots" just your advice.
Thanks in advance
Corey
badbullgator
hunter

Re: Help for next year

Postby goosman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:17 pm

Yeah midland has a lot of birds if I was u since there dairy farmers I would come up for early goose September 1st and hunt the fields they take off for silage. If they have and ponds or potholes probaly good woody hunting early in October but I would target geese in that area myself I drive through there quite often and there are alot of geese
If its not flying its not dyin,Deer Hunters are like nagging wifes, My boat sounds like an old shovelhead harley.
goosman
hunter

Postby badbullgator » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Goosman

Thanks. I thought about the early goose season but I am really leaning towards the opening of duck and goose later in September. They do have some ponds so I think I can make a o of it. Do you think the geese are still good at that time?
badbullgator
hunter

Help for next year

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Michigan is hit or miss. if its private land and there is a good food source you could have a real good shoot. Early season could be good there for the local birds. Once November comes around and the birds start moving south the inland hunting begins to suffer IMO. All the migrators tend to stay along the great lakes. With the exception of a little flyway that follows the saginaw river through the shiawassee WMA and down to SW MI. Good luck. Opening weekend would be your beat bet though. Lots of hunting pressure here and birds get pressured quick.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby brubak35 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:26 pm

I hunt in midland and do really well on honkers and greenheads
brubak35
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting