Snow on the ground?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Snow on the ground?

Postby WendallMan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Hey fellers,
I am planning on heading up this weekend for some late season watching. I call it watching because I can't get the damn birds to commit.

Can anyone from the SW region tell me if the fields are covered with snow still or did you get warm weather long enough to melt it away? I haven't been watching the weather lately so I have no idea what is going on up that way.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I will be near the big lake, bout 30 miles north of the Indiana border if someone from that area sees this.

Wendallman
WendallMan
hunter

Re: Snow on the ground?

Postby j6mccauslin » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:17 pm

very little snow, a dusting to an inch, depends on the area, the warm up melted most of it
j6mccauslin
hunter

Postby WendallMan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:05 pm

j6mccauslin wrote:very little snow, a dusting to an inch, depends on the area, the warm up melted most of it

Thank you kindly sir.

Last time I was up for the late duck/goose days I wasn't expecting or ready for the ground to be covered and stuck out like a sore thumb. Got me some red neck plans on making a snow cover for my layout blind that I will get started on tomorrow though.

Thanks again for the report!
WendallMan
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:17 pm

The ground should be white. We have 1-2" by the sag bay and are expecting 1-2 more across southern LP in the next week. Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby WendallMan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:41 am

NuffDaddy wrote:The ground should be white. We have 1-2" by the sag bay and are expecting 1-2 more across southern LP in the next week. Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app

Thanks!

I hope I have something to report back with. I haven't been able to get out much. I live in Illinois but haven't been able to take the hunters safety course here yet so my times out are limited to when I can make it up to Michigan with my buddies at their cottage. We only managed a couple of ducks and one honker so far this year.
WendallMan
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:38 pm

I'm between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids and most of snow is gone, just a little dusting left in the shady areas where the sun couldn't get to it. Forecast says we may get another light dusting the next couple of days, less than a 1/2". Saturday is looking like temps back in the 40's.

Good luck! We went out today trying to run some traffic, had a couple looks, but couldn't get them to commit. Hoping to give it a go again on Saturday if we can work some babysitting out with Grandma. :)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby WendallMan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:29 am

Outdoor Gal wrote:I'm between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids and most of snow is gone, just a little dusting left in the shady areas where the sun couldn't get to it. Forecast says we may get another light dusting the next couple of days, less than a 1/2". Saturday is looking like temps back in the 40's.

Good luck! We went out today trying to run some traffic, had a couple looks, but couldn't get them to commit. Hoping to give it a go again on Saturday if we can work some babysitting out with Grandma. :)

Thanks, and good luck to you too!
WendallMan
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:04 am

I have a river FULL of mallards and geese right now, Watching them play is just about as good as hunting them. :biggrin:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WendallMan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:38 am

We got skunked. Saw quite a few on Saturday, had some come in and circle a couple of times but couldn't get any to commit.

Sunday was too windy/cold for us (aka we had hangovers) and we didn't make it back into the field.

Maybe next time...

Hope you all did better!
WendallMan
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:41 pm

We were skunked too. The birds had been flying very consistantly both mornings and evenings. Of course, Saturday they decided to sit on the roost until 3:30pm. We had to pack it up at noon to relieve the babysitter. Figures. lol.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting