How's the Honker busting going?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

How's the Honker busting going?

Postby Cobra » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:22 am

Was lucky and was able to go Friday evening, went 3 birds in 3 shots. Saturday morning, 3 birds in 4 shots. Getting pretty cocky and full of it now. Went Monday morning and reality set in, 0 for 8 on even easier shots. Big man upstairs knows when to keep you humble, I guess. At least we're getting to go instead of just thinking about it :getdown: .
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:42 am

I took the only bird that came into my spread Friday night in two shots. Saturday morning took two more. Saw a lot of birds on Saturday morning though. They seemed to all be flying really high. They might already be getting educated.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:39 am

After 6 years of labor day field hunting we finally got a goose! In fact they really wanted to be there and we got 22!!! It rocked.
maddiedog
hunter

Postby Cobra » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:45 am

Birds are flying on the deck, right along the tree lines near me and are very, very quiet. Pass shot without decoys alone the first 2 trips, had a first time rookie using a small rig Monday. Think I was laughing too much to concentrate and shoot straight. My excuse and sticking with it :salude: He went 2 for a box+ and nearly got decapitated on the first one. After having to push his eyeballs back into the sockets I just wasn't the same :laughing: . Plenty of early roost shooting and AAA locally also, idiots!
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:14 pm

6 years of field hunting without a bird! WOW, that is rough. I guess you earned that monster day that you had. Nice work, 22 is a lot of birds. Probably won't be forgetting tha thunt any time soon.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:02 pm

i went out this morning and killed a limit :salude:
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pike_mazter » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:08 pm

I'm glad everyones doin good! :salude: I''l be up on the farm tomarrow all day. I have seen 30-50 birds a night in a couple of different feilds.
pike_mazter
hunter

Postby bushwacking » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:27 pm

havent even got out
quack quack boom

bushwacking
bushwacking
hunter

Postby duckhunter6 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:48 pm

Im a member at a huntclub and between 5 or 6 six guys we have taken over 50 geese as of now :thumbsup:
Hunting for divers is a true mans hunt..
duckhunter6
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:13 am

Yeah we feild hunt Labor Day weekend only and we don't really scout to much. We might hunt the fields a little more now! :salude: We always see the migratory geese when we are out dinking around but usually the season isn't open or we are busy duck hunting. It was an awesome couple of days.
maddiedog
hunter

Postby pike_mazter » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:04 pm

We went out on Wednesday the 6th. In the morning we hunted a cut wheat feild and had a group of 20 land but to far out from the deeks. We seen around 200 birds flying and they all kept landing in a worked (dirt) feild. So that afternoon we hunted the worked feild but due to clear skies and luke warm weather all the geese were miles high. OMG WE SAW SO MANY TEALS!!!!!!!!!! Overall we saw a few hundred geese. LOTS OF BIRDS THIS YEAR!
pike_mazter
hunter

hunt

Postby gunner7848 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:39 am

went out friday and sat only got 1 but it was a good one banded goose first band 4 me :getdown: i been waiting 10 years for my first band will be out this weekend on the lake in my layout boat :thumbsup:Image
2007 season
1 TURKEY-1-10" BEARD
WALLEYE:
BOATED-176
Me-78
GEESE-34
DUCK-58
BANDS-3
My favorite duck and goose call timber call and Michigander by David Lewis
gunner7848
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:36 am

Went 1 for 2 (easy double botched) Friday evening, 3 for 3 Saturday morning. Only 5 birds I saw, 2 pairs and 1 single. No other shooting or fliers heard, they really blew a roost lake up last weekend and they are gone in that area. Did see around 40 BW Teal apearantly heading south ahead of this cold front.
Cobra
hunter

Postby SL80Shooter » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:51 pm

Went to Indiana this weekend to hunt with my grandpa. We struck out on geese, but we killed 60 doves (two man limit, two days). My shoulder took a pretty good beating. Oh well, it will feel better after I pick up some bacon and jalapenos. :yes:
SL80Shooter
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting