Migrants

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Migrants

Postby Michigan » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:40 pm

I hunt near Ludington on the main branch of the PM. I know it has a lot to do with the weather but when should I expect to see birds from our neighbors to the north instead of just locals?
Michigan
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:27 am

Depends on what spieces you're talking about. Saw a big flock of BW Teal heading south yesterday morning.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:46 am

Well growing up in Ludington it used to be sweet hunting there. Now my buddies all tell me that it is packed with tons of hunters so even when they do show up they get sky blasted right away.
maddiedog
hunter

Postby Michigan » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:00 pm

Yeah thats how it is on opening day where I hunt but after that I have the marsh to myself. I may hear a few shots hear and there off in the distance but that's it.
Michigan
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:38 am

Well I was out there in the end of October. There were more spinning wing decoys and calls then I have EVER heard anywhere!
maddiedog
hunter

Postby wigeon1040 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:53 pm

I just moved from the Grand Rapids area and have been talking with my brother who runs a little guide service outside of GR and he said he is already shooting some migrants. He was also telling me that he has been getting into a few nice flocks of those cacklers or mini geese as I like to call them, which are migrants. So to answer your question you should start keeping your eyes out now, also I know some of my buddies in the UP have been also seeing some big flights coming in off of Superior.
wigeon1040
hunter

Postby Cobra » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:47 pm

Similar to last year, but I saw a flock or around 3dz snows and blues heading south near Marshall today. Getting to see more and more light geese every year.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby Michigan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:56 pm

widgeon, what's the name of the guide service? I'm in GR.
Michigan
hunter

Postby wigeon1040 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:35 pm

His guide service doesn't really have a name as of yet. Like I said it's little, it is more of a friend of a friend type of thing now, no real advertising and he gets customers threw word of mouth. He would like to go bigger with it, but having to work a normal job for money doesn't leave enough time to do all the scouting and prep that is needed when recieving money for hunts.
wigeon1040
hunter

Postby Randy Loker » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:17 pm

In the past we have started killing migrant geese around September 12. This year it was a couple of days earlier becaouse of a steady north wind. It can be tough to hunt locals and migrants at the same time because locals want to land in front of the spread while migrants want to land in the center of the spread, which means right behind you sometimes.
Pile 'em up

Team Michigander 08-09
Geese:288 Bands:5, 1 collar
Ducks:367 Bands:0
Randy Loker
hunter

Postby Michigan » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:58 pm

I would be very interested in going with him if the price is right.
Michigan
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting