would this work???

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

would this work???

Postby phutch30 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:39 am

I recently had a long discussion on x-rays and dog training with one of the MI forum members, I think he said he goes by dead eye duck or dead eye dan, I cant remember. Anyway we were arguing the merits of different field expedient training methods with a shock collar. Wanted some input

1. should you shock your dog in the water. he says no, I say if the dog screws up you have to make him know it wherever he is.

2. he uses a technique that while innavative seems a little odd. he says he uses 2 shock collars (one on each side of the dogs neck) and shocks the collar on the off side he wants his dog to go. So if he wants it to go left he hits the dog with the right collar and vise versa. His thinking is the dog will go the oppisite direction to avoid the pain. I think this would just confuse my dog, but hes pretty dumb to begin with. Would two collars work? How much would a couple of shock collars cost. Id really like to teach my dog hand signals and if this is a good method then Ill give it a go

Thanks for any help
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: would this work???

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon May 13, 2013 11:21 am

1: This is common sense. Water and electricity do not mix. Ever. Period.

2: Just like driving horses. Like steering for your dog, wireless reins - so to speak. Common sense.
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Mon May 13, 2013 5:21 pm

phutch30 wrote:I recently had a long discussion on x-rays and dog training with one of the MI forum members, I think he said he goes by dead eye duck or dead eye dan, I cant remember. Anyway we were arguing the merits of different field expedient training methods with a shock collar. Wanted some input

1. should you shock your dog in the water. he says no, I say if the dog screws up you have to make him know it wherever he is.

2. he uses a technique that while innavative seems a little odd. he says he uses 2 shock collars (one on each side of the dogs neck) and shocks the collar on the off side he wants his dog to go. So if he wants it to go left he hits the dog with the right collar and vise versa. His thinking is the dog will go the oppisite direction to avoid the pain. I think this would just confuse my dog, but hes pretty dumb to begin with. Would two collars work? How much would a couple of shock collars cost. Id really like to teach my dog hand signals and if this is a good method then Ill give it a go

Thanks for any help

Interesting opening, " arguing the merits ".

I use collars and water does nothing, but maybe a tad of intensity increase.

A properly trained dog taken through the steps, not skipping steps, shouldn't be that hard to "steer".
I don't want to rely on my shock collar as a sustainable method of hunting.
How do you turn the dog in the water if you don't shock it, per the training method described? :huh:

And, you can buy a two collar one transmitter if it is your choice to go this route.
Be kind to your hunting partner....
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Fri May 24, 2013 7:29 pm

To train my dog I used water dog by richard wolters, he is known to everyone on this site, his book will show you everything you need and that is how I trained my dog, your biggest concern right now is, you need to have a lot of PATIENCE and TIME, that is the number one key before anything to train your dog right. You need to get this book, it will tell you how to do everything you need to know about how to train your dog right, there are many of steps before you can teach your dog hand signals, you cant just jump into hand signals if your dog does kno the commands: Sit, Stay, Heel and Come. Those are the first in the list before anything. People train there dogs with what we call bases, just like playing baseball, your at home, your dogs at pitchers mound, you through one dummie at first and send him with a cover command with your right hand then you do second base then send him then third base and so on. practice with that and then once he gets what you mean then you can add two dummies in the game then once he gets that then add all three bases but you have to spend weeks before you can move up to two or more. move to fast you will confuse your dog. but i recommend 100% to get this book if you want a great dog.

As far as the shock collar, it wont hurt the dog in the water, but dont put it on #5 because that is just to much for a sensitive dog (you have to figure out how sensitive your dog is first) But you do not need to use a shock collar to train your dog if you do it right, just like the post above be nice to your hunting partner and he/she will be nice to you. I am not saying you dont need a shock collar because they r nice to have but you dont need to use one to train your dog hand signals if you do it right. all i can say is get the book and you and your huntin partner will have a great season together!

Good Luck!
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Fri May 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Also to turn/stop your dog in the water without shocking him use a whistle, that is the easiest command you can train your dog with, everytim he/she its, you blow the whistle once for 3 seconds each time you have her sit then she will learn if she hears that whistle she will sit for you, I can stop my dog in the water and have her turn and look at me and i give her the signal where the bird is. simple as that!
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:37 am

Thanks guys. One prob I have though is due to a birth defect I cant use a whisle. So thats why I was leaning towards the two shock collars to sorta steer him while hes looking for downed birds.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 pm

phutch30 wrote:Thanks guys. One prob I have though is due to a birth defect I cant use a whisle. So thats why I was leaning towards the two shock collars to sorta steer him while hes looking for downed birds.

One other small collars I use on pups is a vibration or shock collar.

Train dog so that when he/she is vibrated, to look at you for direction. Train hand signals , foster that your the God with all the birds. They will look to you for direction .

But not two shock collars, sorry cant drink that kool aid.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:46 am

phutch30 wrote:I recently had a long discussion on x-rays and dog training with one of the MI forum members, I think he said he goes by dead eye duck or dead eye dan, I cant remember. Anyway we were arguing the merits of different field expedient training methods with a shock collar. Wanted some input

10 milliamps (0.01 amp) is 10 milliamps if you are in the water or not.

The water may or may not increase the conductivity between the electrodes and the dog's skin, but it will not increase the strength of the "shock"

If the collar is made water proof then it will not cause anything to happen.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:37 pm

So far the two collar trick seems to be working. it took a little time to teach him what I wanted but now I bet i could steer him thru a obsticle course.
phutch30
hunter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:46 pm

Glad it's working out for you Paul.

My 10 year old will go to the mailbox and bring the mail back with 100% accuracy - now if his little brother would just learn to close the refrigerator door after getting my beer I'd feel like I'd accomplished something.
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Dude what the heck does that have to do with dog training? Why do people always have to bring in stuff that has no bearing on the current discussion. If I wanted to talk about kid training, Id be asking if the collar could be used to train my kids to wipe thier ass and flush.....and they are in thier teens
phutch30
hunter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:41 pm

Easy there bub - how do you think I perfected my training methods?

I only have one dog and I have 2 kids. I couldn't very well risk screwing up my one dog with an un-tested theory. Duh.

DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting