Houghton Lake, dead stream

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Houghton Lake, dead stream

Postby LynchMobDuckHunter » Thu May 23, 2013 9:56 am

Just looking for some feed back. My Father-in-law has a place on Higgins and we are thinking of starting a duck camp up there for the opening weekend of duck season. Some where for the guys to get together and take my son when he is old enough. Our thought was that we would hunt the dead stream. I am just wondering how the hunting is and how pressured it is? I live in Calhoun County and all of mine and my buddies spots are private so we have never had to deal with hunting around other hunters. I understand the dead stream goes on for miles so is there plenty of room even with a lot of pressure? Thanks for any feedback.
Nick,
Lynch'n Mob
"bring em' in low and hang em' high"
LynchMobDuckHunter
hunter

Re: Houghton Lake, dead stream

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:21 am

Lots of woodies but not much else. I have hunted dead stream / dead stream swamp a few times and by the reedsburg dam. There were other hunters but not a lot.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LynchMobDuckHunter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Ok cool... Glad to know it is not over populated with hunters. Thanks for passing on your expirence
Nick,
Lynch'n Mob
LynchMobDuckHunter
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:43 pm

If you have a bunch of private land to hunt, why are you leaving to go to public?
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby LynchMobDuckHunter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:12 pm

because my father-in-law has a place on higgins lake and i am up there all the time
Nick,
Lynch'n Mob
LynchMobDuckHunter
hunter

Postby J.Morse » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:59 pm

I live within a mile of both Houghton Lake and Reedsburg. My son and I actually quit hunting Reedsburg because of the crowds(early in the season). I've seen as high as 52 vehicles at the Michelson landing on opening morning!! That was a few years back. Not that bad any longer, but can still get crowded.
J.Morse
Newb

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting