New To Duck Hunting...Help?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

New To Duck Hunting...Help?

Postby mellamocassie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:32 pm

I'm trying to get into duck hunting and I was wondering if there's a basic beginner's gun I should be looking for.
mellamocassie
Newb

Re: New To Duck Hunting...Help?

Postby Bandedbrothers » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:20 am

What made you get Into duck hunting? I'm just curious, how old are you?
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby mellamocassie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:56 am

I moved to the upper peninsula of Michigan and my boss actually duck hunts with her husband and talks to me a out it a lot. It seems like something I'd really be interested in. I used to watch her hunting dogs a lot and talk to her husband about his trips. I've always wanted to hunt because my family does but wasn't sure WHAT I wanted to hunt.
mellamocassie
Newb

Postby Bandedbrothers » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:11 am

Alright I was just curious bc if you were going to say "bc I've watched duck dynasty and want to try it out" then I would of flipped bc I'm starting to get that now since that stupid show aired!!! Anyways, starting out, I would learn to duck call that will be your biggest thing to make it out duck hunting. Second, just get a dozen decoys and a shotgun you good with. Once you start getting into I and liking it then start buying more and more decoys you can't have enough decoys, those range from your puddle ducks and diver ducks. Then for now just get a 12ft aluminum boat (you can paint it olive drab green and camo it or just hide it good and sit on land to hunt) then work your way up to a nice duck boat. Then once your good and ready get a dog and train him/ her. You don't need to get a dog right away though just want a season to make sure you really wanna devote your life to duck hunting. But main thing is learn to call. If you have any question pm me and give me your number and ill text ya to answer any questions you have. Hope this helps
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby mellamocassie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:19 am

I've actually neve an Duck Dynsasty...lol. And thanks do much for all of your help!
mellamocassie
Newb

Postby Bandedbrothers » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:04 am

No problem it's a great sport to get into. Good luck
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby MantonMan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:01 am

For a beginner shotgun I'd maybe look at a Remington 870. It's a great weapon and like Bandedbrothers said, just to see if you think it's something you could really get into, then years down the road you could look at more expensive guns like Benellis or those other fancy shotguns out now but you really won't even need to if you take care of your first gun and unless you wanted to.
MantonMan
hunter

Postby mellamocassie » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:10 am

Thank you so much for all your help! :)
mellamocassie
Newb

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:57 am

pretty much any gun works but is it best that you pick up something modern with choke tubes so you can adjust for conditions if needed. If your not sure you will stick with it you can easily pick up a used 500 or 870 under $200 and not be out much if you decide not to follow thru.

Do not worry about all the "fancy" shot out there either. Everyday steel shot works great (I have tested it all in the past 30+ years) and at decoy range and even out farther you will have no problem killing ducks and geese with steel.

a good set of Waders is a must (an hip boots for warm days) neoprene over rubber and a rainproof jacket.

also you do not have to spend $100+ to get a good duck call

welcome to the Addiction :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting