New to Duck hunting! Which calls?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

New to Duck hunting! Which calls?

Postby Ksch97 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Good evening,
I live in northern Michigan, I am new to duck hunting have not been out. I would like to get into duck hunting for the sport of hunting, I have wanted to get into duck hunting for a while. I like to hunt and want something else to learn to hunt, and this looks like a lot of fun. I am looking to purchase a new gun, I am looking at the Benelli Nova, After I purchase that I will be looking at duck calls, which calls do you recommend for this area, such as brand or style, I have looked at a couple of different calls, I have looked at zinc calls, and some calls that they offer at Cabela's, I have no idea of what to go with or to choose.

When hunting on lakes where should I sit to hunt I do have a twelve foot boat that I can use to get to areas, I am wondering if I should park of shore or sit in the middle of the lake. with decoys set out, I am just looking for information, I have some areas that I plan to hunt. Thank you for the help, I look forward to talking with you all in the future.

Koby
Northern Michigan.
Ksch97
hunter

Re: New to Duck hunting! Which calls?

Postby Bandedbrothers » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Ksch97 wrote:Good evening,
I live in northern Michigan, I am new to duck hunting have not been out. I would like to get into duck hunting for the sport of hunting, I have wanted to get into duck hunting for a while. I like to hunt and want something else to learn to hunt, and this looks like a lot of fun. I am looking to purchase a new gun, I am looking at the Benelli Nova, After I purchase that I will be looking at duck calls, which calls do you recommend for this area, such as brand or style, I have looked at a couple of different calls, I have looked at zinc calls, and some calls that they offer at Cabela's, I have no idea of what to go with or to choose.

When hunting on lakes where should I sit to hunt I do have a twelve foot boat that I can use to get to areas, I am wondering if I should park of shore or sit in the middle of the lake. with decoys set out, I am just looking for information, I have some areas that I plan to hunt. Thank you for the help, I look forward to talking with you all in the future.

Koby
Northern Michigan.

For a beginner to duck calling, you will want to try out a double reed, I believe it is much easier to blow than a single (others may say different) I would go to gander mountain and pick up a cheap-o call to start with. I liked the Zink Power hen I think it was. Then once you get good at calling you can buy a more expensive call like the echo calls, RNT daisy cutter is a great call, Buck gardner spit techs are pretty nice. Its all about what you think you can blow, Some can blow a single reed better than a double. The double is more raspy which is what I like. I buy handmade turned calls off my buddy but have tried some of the other calls listened and liked them.

But do not go out and spend a bunch of money just in case you do not want to pursue the addiction. Duck calling is not a over night thing to learn it takes months upon months to master duck calling, it is not easy one bit that is why you should start little then grow from there.

Now it depends where you to sit, you need to scout for ducks and where they are sitting because that indicates that, that spot is a good food source or hangout for them. You can post up anywhere you want just hope its a flyway for them and you know there is duck around. It all depends on your set up as well with the dekes, wind direction, cover, etc. Stay hidden is all I can say, don't sit out in the middle with your boat because if your boat is equipped with a pop up blind then you wont shoot anything (maybe you might get lucky and get a dumb duck to come in), Now you can sit out in the middle but people only do that when divers come down. I would find cover where ducks are located and if you can sit on land but stay HIDDEN, place your decoys in a J hook or a Horse shoe (search on google for Duck decoy setups), ducks cup into the wind so make that a big big factor when setting out decoys. Also a good tip is make your self different from everyone else, meaning decoy set up, if someones using 10 dozen decoys you use 5 dozen and make a different spread than them. Always plan for changing up your set up so make your decoys easy access to get to because if the ducks don't like your spread than you will want to change it for them to like it.

I hope this helped and If I think of anything else Ill chime in. Good Luck!
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby Ksch97 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:51 pm

Thank you for your help, you were a big help to me.
I have a couple questions, I went to gander the other day and didn't find any calls in stock. I was in Mcsports tonight and seen quite a few calls. They were pretty cheap, they ranged from $25-$30'. Would those calls be a good start for me being a beginner?

When you say about four ducks, what do you feel is the best tactic for doing that. Driving around still at boat launches or is it best to ride around on the water and look for ducks and places to sit. I apologize for all the questions, I am very new to this, I don't really have any one to hunt with our know any one to talk with to get idea or info like this. I told my wife it is something out want to get into. For the fun the challenge and once I get up and going maybe get some outer people involved or maybe my two girls.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Ksch97
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Ksch97 wrote:Thank you for your help, you were a big help to me.
I have a couple questions, I went to gander the other day and didn't find any calls in stock. I was in Mcsports tonight and seen quite a few calls. They were pretty cheap, they ranged from $25-$30'. Would those calls be a good start for me being a beginner?

When you say about four ducks, what do you feel is the best tactic for doing that. Driving around still at boat launches or is it best to ride around on the water and look for ducks and places to sit. I apologize for all the questions, I am very new to this, I don't really have any one to hunt with our know any one to talk with to get idea or info like this. I told my wife it is something out want to get into. For the fun the challenge and once I get up and going maybe get some outer people involved or maybe my two girls.

Yes those would be a good start, I would look at quake attack and sink or buck gardener calls if they had an at mc sports. I would start with a double reed but blow a few calls there and see how they feel to u (don't worry about you not knowing how to call just got on YouTube and search for how to quack and they will show u and then go in there and do a quack and see if one fits u. Doing his without a call is obviously hard but as long as you get the hint on what to say in the call u will be fine) also don't worry about how u sound I front of people.
As for the four ducks? I don't remember saying about for ducks. I re read what I said but couldn't see where I said that.
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby Ksch97 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Sorry about that, I meant scout for ducks. Which is the best way to do so? I use my phone a lot on hear and it doesn't always with the best.

Ksch97
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:59 am

There's no easy way to scout. Just find ponds or lakes tha hold birds in there and pick a good spot that is close to where those birds are but always remember you must obey the shooting laws and people properties. You know the laws correct?
Just drive around your nearest ponds and look for ducks, just a reminder this is as easy, you will spend days finding spots and if u find private spots you will want to jump on those unless someone beat you to it. Try state land, I would say try the big waters by your not to that step yet if u don't have a boat equipped with the necessary stuff. I would recommend taking a 12 ft out on big waters, not vary safe but some guys do it.

Also one big reminder, I hope u know when wearing waders, you know when you fall in with them they fill up with water and it's like a huge weight and you can't get them off unless u cut itself free. I would recommend you wait to put waders on once you get to the spot your hunting. Do I or people do this? Not really but I will say I'm dumb for not holding off on wearing them till I got to my spot.
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby Ksch97 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:37 am

I don't know the rules and regulations as of yet. I do plan on getting to know them real well. We have a lot of state land around me here and also quite a few rivers too float down also. I have a 12' boat that is mainly a fishing boat right now. I have no problem using it and turning it into a duck boat. I do not know what I would need to equip it with but it won't be a problem to do. Thank you about the waders, I will be mindful of that I didn't realize the only way to get them off would be to cut them, I think I might wait to get them on out there, for extra precaution.
Thank you again for all the help and tips you have been giving me.
Once it is time to duck hunt I plan on getting out as much as possible, I probably won't be deer hunting much this year, they just passed 3pt or better on one side, I will probably give them a year off. I plan on getting into duck hunting, even if it is by my self. It looks like a lot of fun, it also looks like it can be a good brotherhood, of guys to hunt with.
I can see in time this will be getting expensive. Just being a coat and a gun a lanyard and some good decent priced calls. And some decoys. That is what Craig's list is for. I have seen some on there often.

Ksch97
hunter

Postby Bandedbrothers » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:08 pm

Ksch97 wrote:I don't know the rules and regulations as of yet. I do plan on getting to know them real well. We have a lot of state land around me here and also quite a few rivers too float down also. I have a 12' boat that is mainly a fishing boat right now. I have no problem using it and turning it into a duck boat. I do not know what I would need to equip it with but it won't be a problem to do. Thank you about the waders, I will be mindful of that I didn't realize the only way to get them off would be to cut them, I think I might wait to get them on out there, for extra precaution.
Thank you again for all the help and tips you have been giving me.
Once it is time to duck hunt I plan on getting out as much as possible, I probably won't be deer hunting much this year, they just passed 3pt or better on one side, I will probably give them a year off. I plan on getting into duck hunting, even if it is by my self. It looks like a lot of fun, it also looks like it can be a good brotherhood, of guys to hunt with.
I can see in time this will be getting expensive. Just being a coat and a gun a lanyard and some good decent priced calls. And some decoys. That is what Craig's list is for. I have seen some on there often.

Well a 12 ft you will have to make a pop up blind bc I don't believe the Avery quick set up blinds come in 12ft boat but I could be wrong. Now as for cutting your waders, you may cut the crap out of yourself doing so obviously but better than risking your life. Also you will spend a lot of money on waterfowl stuff. Waterfowl hunting is to me the most expensive hunting out there and we go through alot worse conditions than any hunting out there. Just to let you know we do this out of our hearts not just for fun Nd just killing animals. It is a fun sport to get into but it's not just for killing thing, you obviously know this since u are a deer hunter. I will say this, I have two buddies who were big big time deer hunters and hey wanted to get into duck hunting so I introduced them to waterfowl hunting and now they have up deer hunting.

Well you have three months till season just be safe out there and follow up on the rules bc one mistake can cost you a lot.

If you need anything else I will try my best to help you out.
Bandedbrothers
hunter

Postby MantonMan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:08 am

Welcome, I am from northern MI as well, what town are you from? I'm not home now unfortunately. I'm currently stationed at Ft. Wainwright in AK. I don't get out of the army until 25 Oct so I will be missing Michigan duck hunting this year, but I'm still gonna get after it up here whenever I can. But for a scouting tip you could try cyber scouting and by that I don't mean asking guys on here about areas but using google maps and finding nearby water, going to it and scouting it out. Scout a lot, even just watch the ducks when you find them, it's really great to hear them make their sounds first hand to hear what they really sound like. And you can see what areas of the water they usually sit at, when they come and go, what they look like in the stages of coming in on the water, it's a good way to get use to being able to tell different species while in flight and so many other reasons. Scouting is a big part of duck hunting and it's always been a pre-season ritual for me. When ducks are coming in don't look straight up at them until you are ready to fire if you arent wearing a camo face mask or something, they can make out your face easily. I've heard about it and also experienced it personally, a big group of pintails came in front of me one evening and didn't realized until they were already on the water. So I watched them, picking out the drakes and getting ready to pop up jump them up and shoot but they already kicked up before I was ready. I couldn't figure it out, I was silent and didnt move a muscle. But later I realized I was looking straight at them and I'm pretty sure thats what spooked them. So thats a big piece of advice I can give you that I had to learn the hard way when I was starting out. Other than looking up beginner tips for duck hunting on youtube or other places on the net and going out to shoot some clays to practice on your shooting, that's about all I can think of now. I'm still no expert but if you have any other questions ask away, and good luck.
MantonMan
hunter

Postby Baher20018 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:14 pm

Try a quackhead double reed. They are made by rich and tone but are only around $20-30.
Baher20018
hunter

Postby browningman123 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:18 pm

I was at dicks sporting goods today playing withcalls I was suprised how good the echo poly carb duck calls sound .
browningman123
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting