How was your opener?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

How was your opener?

Postby Brent » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:44 am

Hello everyone-

I was wondering if other Michigan hunters could chime in about their opener.

Mine was the worst I've ever had- very, very few birds, a party near us on the lake taking 100+ yard shots at every bird we were calling in- and my first ever call to the police to make a hunter harrassment report. The local Sheriff was great about it and all ended well- turned out to be an intoxited "gentleman" who claimed to have never heard gunshots before and freaked out when they woke him from his alcohol infused haze in the cabin he was borrowing. He went ballistic!

Despite this, both yesterday and today were weak- very, very few birds around.

How about the rest of you?

Brent
Brent
hunter

Did well in the UP near Hougton

Postby Bill Collector Bob » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:41 am

Went out yesterday, first one at the boat launch 2:45 got the best spot around. Set up 6 dozen ducks with another 25 geese for one heck of a morning around a little sand bar island. Had we all remebered that ducks are way harder to hit then claypigeons we would have limited out... we've all been there. Ended up w/ 14 total between three of us. Lots of species though mallards, woodies, scaup, redhead, merganser :oops: , and honkers.

The most embarrising part is that we slept in today, the ole' alarm just couldn't keep me out of bed that early for two days in a row damn... :pissed:
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." -Fred Bear
Bill Collector Bob
hunter

Postby Michigan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:41 pm

I wasn't able to make it for the north opener :pissed: so I'll have to check back in next Sunday.
Michigan
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:38 am

It was REALLY good. Lot's of birds!
maddiedog
hunter

Postby indyhunter » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:58 am

i live in near indianapolis but we own a cabin at erie shooting club near the maumee bay if anyone knows where that is but are opener is on the october seventh
indyhunter
hunter

Postby pike_mazter » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:34 pm

michigan wrote:I wasn't able to make it for the north opener :pissed: so I'll have to check back in next Sunday.

I'll be out early sat morning and will hunt the whole weekend. Heading ove to bass pro shops today for a new benelli nova.
pike_mazter
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting