Montmorency/Alpena Area

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Montmorency/Alpena Area

Postby JudgeSmails » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:54 am

I am looking for any information that people can provide regarding duck hunting in these counties and other nearby counties. I attempted to do some research last time we were up North, but it was over the holidays. As you can imagine, most were spending the quality family time and not the quality hunting time. Unfortunately this left a number of my questions unanswered. I've also looked at all the DNR maps and have gleened as much information as I could. We have a place up there and only visit it a few times a year. I'd love to be able to just run out after work and do my own research but I live about 7 hours away. Not exactly a quick trip after dinner.

I visually checked out Ess, Avalon, Grass, Long and Cranberry Lake. I also looked at the Floodwater's in Hillman. I saw ducks on all and think I'd like to hunt Grass Lake and Fletchers Pond. Additionally maybe do a little wading at Cranberry. Any advice offered would be appreciated. Specific launch ramps, areas of the lake, areas to stay away from, people to stay away from - What should I expect to see in September/October. What Dekes should I bring? Are the stumps in the Fletchers really that bad?

Thanks in advance for your info. If I were to do the background work on-site it might take me a year to actually hunt.

dw
JudgeSmails
Newb

Re: Montmorency/Alpena Area

Postby Brent » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:55 pm

Hello:

Send me an email at jbchambers1@chartermi.net and I can help.

Brent
Brent
hunter

Re: Montmorency/Alpena Area

Postby JudgeSmails » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:06 pm

Brent - thanks for the info via email. I sent you a reply with a few follow up questions.

dw
JudgeSmails
Newb

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting