Duck Hunting Forum banner

Harsens Island Lottery

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  wesley 
#1 ·
I was wondering if someone could remind me if you need a boat in order to hunt the selected hunts on Harsens? I tried the lottery once last year but didn't end up going out because we got selected last. We had a boat then. I can't remember if you need a boat in order to hunt it. I'm headed out there next weekend but not able to bring my boat with me. How's the hunting if you just walk out there, and which ponds are good?

#2 ·
Most areas are accessable by foot, that is of course the corn fields. If your footing it, be prepared for a lot of work unless you take one of the closer zones like 1,2,3, maybe 4, 21 or 22. But you will need to be in the top 10 to get 21 and 22, top 25 for the others. Right now, 1 and 2 have little water and arn't doing well, they do better late in the season. Area 3 is getting a few as well as 21 and 22. Hope that helps you out, and good luck!!

#3 ·
The success in areas at Harsen's varies throughout the season......cover gets beat up, birds start using other areas as the become flooded, new birds move in, ect.
Personally, I go there to hunt. It amazes me the number of people that give up and leave after the first half dozen numbers are picked. I think you greatly limit yourself by not using as small boat; I have done better in some of the marsh units than I have in some of the corn strips, and if you hunt by yourself, you are extremely limited in what fields you can hunt, and you almost HAVE to hunt the marsh.

Also, some of those walks can be an extremely long hike....esp. when toting decoys, guns, ammo, ect.

#7 ·
I have never hunted Harsen Island. I heard it has some good duck hunting is that true? If not where are some good places to go for ducks and or geese. I live in Berkley. What are the best places or numbers (2, 4, 21, 22, etc.) to go? I don't have a boat. What time do I need to be there to get a draw? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.