Duck Hunting Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

duck hunting competition

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  waterfowlhunter 
#1 ·
hey everybody, tomorrow begins the 1st duck hunting competition, hosted by the Portage Lake Sportmans Club. This is the 1st year we're are doing this ,so the numbers are soso. We have 7 teams, mostly local duck hunters,but we have a few guys from around the Port Huron area. Hopefully next year we can have more teams. The cost is $60.00 per team,and you hunt 2 days. You'll get tickets for how many ducks and geese you shoot. Mergansers are also included, in daily bag limits. Should be a great time and some great competition for us hunters U.P. here. I'll let everyone know how we do tomorrow. Next year hopefully we can have some more teams. Check the PLSC page for more info. I'll try to get more info out there for you'all. Good hunting and good luck tomorrow. [/i][/b]

#2 ·
I'm sorry, but posts like this bother me.....Hunting should NOT be a competative sport, esp. for money! It is one thing to have a competiiton between friends, but to organize a hunt for money is deplorable to me....it cheapens the experience, and where ever money and egos are involved, there is sure to follow corruption and cheating. It also helps to strengthen the antis view that birds are just used for 'target practice' (whether they are or not), as they are claiming in thier ads against proposal 3.
I feel this has help ruin the sport of deer hunting.....30 years ago it was all about getting venison and a nice set of antlers was just icing on the cake; now it has turned into a 'competition' to see who can shoot a deer with the biggest set of antlers! It has gotten to the point where we have groups trying to ban the shooting of smaller bucks so that they can get a big rack, putting out special "antler growth blocks', ect.

THere is nothing illegal about your competition, but maybe the reason you have so few groups participating is because others feel the same as I do? Just a thought.

#3 ·
Mr. 16 Gauge I understand how you can think that but what you most likely don't understand is Houghton and the Keewinaw is like one big tight nit community, so it is the same thing as hunting competetiveness between friends. It is not like lower Michigan where you only know about 6 out of the 100's of hunters in the neighborhood. All these guys hunt, fish, and hang out together. The reason I know this is because I just moved to Kansas from Houghton. I know all the guys participating in the event as well as the people throwing it, and I can garuntee you these people do more for waterfowl than you could think of. They are all about conservation and eating what they kill. They were just looking for a good way to get everyone together doing what they love to do and have a good time.

#4 ·
I know all the guys participating in the event as well as the people throwing it, and I can garuntee you these people do more for waterfowl than you could think of. They are all about conservation and eating what they kill. They were just looking for a good way to get everyone together doing what they love to do and have a good time.
O.K., great.....get everyone together and have a good time. But why does every 'team' have to cough up $60? Why cant they just get together for the sake of getting together and having a good time? If you are trying to raise money, it seems to me that there are otther ways of doing so without giving the sport of hunting a black eye and giving ammo to the antis.
....and if it is a tight knit communtity, why are they advertising on this board ( and possibly others) for more teams to participate? If it is as tight knit as you say, seems to me that 'outsiders' wouldn't be as welcome....unless, of course, they brought thier cash.

Enquiring minds would like to know....................... :smile:

#5 ·
Just got in back from hunting Chassel Bay, one goose two bufflehead and a Green wing. Saw some huge migrating flocks but overall a slow day for that area. It sure was good to get out though, school has been bogging me down for the past few weeks. Got the goose sitting in jerky cure right now.

Seemed like a few more guys out at the launch there than normal but not as many shots as you'd expect.

#6 ·
hey guys and gals, What a great morning to be out hunting. My partner and I did really well, for the 1st day of our hunt competition. All together we got 11 ducks and 1 common merg. 2 buffles,3 redheads. 3 bluebills, and 3 ringnecks. Yesterday all the teams met at the sportmens club, we discussed the rules and all agreed on them. The only rule that I didn't like was about shooting mergs. I seldom shoot them cause they suck, but one of the guys said,"they're ducks too and he likes to eat them". We shot 1, but I still feel bad that we're using them in our contest. I'm going to try his recipe and I'll let you know how it is. Still I think I'll pass them up when I know they're mergs. I respect your opinion 16 gauge, everybody has one, and it's what this country is made on. 1st the money to get in the contest is going towards some prize $, and a really nice luncheon tomorrow after noon. Plus a lot of local business' donated prizes. Yeah , there will be a winner, but in this case everybody wins. Everybody who particapates gets tickets, and the more birds you get ,you get more tickets. They all get put into a barrel and the prizes will be picked. Like my friend Wigeon says,"we are all friends U.P. here and it stays that way,we all hunt together at times.Hell, last year I kept bumping heads over this spot. So I invited my new hunting buddy over. We all respect everyone and we're TRUE Sportsmen U.P. here. And MY invitation sticks to all Michiganders, Trolls or Yoopers, ever want to come U.P. and hunt and meet a great bunch of guys you'all give me a call. Good Luck hunting and hopefully more birds are on there way, for our friends under the bridge. Will let everyone know how we do tomorrow.

#8 ·
Mr. 16 gauge said:
I'm sorry, but posts like this bother me.....Hunting should NOT be a competative sport, esp. for money! It is one thing to have a competiiton between friends, but to organize a hunt for money is deplorable to me....it cheapens the experience, and where ever money and egos are involved, there is sure to follow corruption and cheating. It also helps to strengthen the antis view that birds are just used for 'target practice' (whether they are or not), as they are claiming in thier ads against proposal 3.
I feel this has help ruin the sport of deer hunting.....30 years ago it was all about getting venison and a nice set of antlers was just icing on the cake; now it has turned into a 'competition' to see who can shoot a deer with the biggest set of antlers! It has gotten to the point where we have groups trying to ban the shooting of smaller bucks so that they can get a big rack, putting out special "antler growth blocks', ect.

THere is nothing illegal about your competition, but maybe the reason you have so few groups participating is because others feel the same as I do? Just a thought.
Do you feel the same way about the hundreds of fishing tournaments held every year? same situation, you are harvesting game for competition and profit.

I really do not think hunting should be a competition either.

#11 ·
Well boys, or "men" as you may call yourselfs, either way, we are all hunters.
I graduated from Mich. Tech and was a member of the Portage Sportsmans Club.
It's not a big area up there and they don't see the hunting pressure that we do down here in the lower.
Hunting U.P. there is at it's purest. I personally miss those days.
Give these guys, "kids", a break, they are just excited to be hunting and they've posted this information because they want to be heard as hunters and they want to invite anyone who is interested to come hunt with them. There are no more birds U.P. there than there are down here, they are just more excited to be getting out and being with friends than fighting over who is hunting what spot and who is skybusting what birds.

At the end of the day, we all got into hunting to get out with our buddies, drink coffee, enjoy the sunrise and maybe, if we're lucky, take home some birds. It's what our grandfathers and fathers did.

Good luck hunting to all, where every you are!

#12 ·
roughshot said:
Well boys, or "men" as you may call yourselfs, either way, we are all hunters.
I graduated from Mich. Tech and was a member of the Portage Sportsmans Club.
It's not a big area up there and they don't see the hunting pressure that we do down here in the lower.
Hunting U.P. there is at it's purest. I personally miss those days.
Give these guys, "kids", a break, they are just excited to be hunting and they've posted this information because they want to be heard as hunters and they want to invite anyone who is interested to come hunt with them. There are no more birds U.P. there than there are down here, they are just more excited to be getting out and being with friends than fighting over who is hunting what spot and who is skybusting what birds.

At the end of the day, we all got into hunting to get out with our buddies, drink coffee, enjoy the sunrise and maybe, if we're lucky, take home some birds. It's what our grandfathers and fathers did.

Good luck hunting to all, where every you are!
Well said.....and lets remember some of DHC rules. It is ok to voice an opinion, as long as there is no personal bashing. This post is clean so far but lets not let it get out of hand.

#13 ·
My opinion, it is all about what you are doing with the money. If you are haveing a comp to raise money for something like "live for a cure" and some of the money goes toward the hunt club for hoisting the event, than I am more than supporting but if it is for just the hunt club, I dont know. If you are wanting to raise money for the club, hold a lunch or a banquet and have the hunt be something for pride rights in the club. Remember that most of your comps (fishing for example) are catch and release. You guys aren't putting the ducks back. Nothing about it is illegal but for many of us its not morally just. I think you will find that more people will attend your event if you geard it around something charitable. I know I would.

#14 ·
.....O.K., great.....get everyone together and have a good time. But why does every 'team' have to cough up $60?......
i agree there should be no one geting paid in a hunting comp. but if the money from the fee was to be given to a good cause i would say that it would be a good idea, maybe just win 120 dollars and give the rest away. maybe even donate the meat to homless shelter or something. that is the only way i would call it a good idea. pluss this would shine some good light on the hunting comunitee.

#15 ·
Hey All, why is this posted again? I didn't repost it, Heck this was from 2 yrs. ago. I read all the new topics, though. The money raised for that event went to the club, and towards dinner, and some really nice prizes. We had a good time,and we didn't do it again! Not for any of the reasons about hunters codes of conduct,or we pissed off the Earth Muffins, we just didn't do it. Like My friend wigeon said, we all know every1 around hear, and just wanted to make a couple of days of hunting more exciting, and tell stories. So with that, Good hunting!

#16 ·
This post is locked due not only to it being 2 years old (I did not even notice that at first) but to prevent further issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.