handicap accessible waterfowl areas

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

handicap accessible waterfowl areas

Postby suburban_duckman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi I'm new here but I recent was in car accident back in january did total damags to my legs and and chest and ribs so currently I'm in a wheelchair and going to rehab but question is I live in south east michigan and I really dont want to miss out on duck season this year does any body know where there is wheelchair accessible blinds/areas in my area or maybe a few more miles
suburban_duckman
hunter

Re: handicap accessible waterfowl areas

Postby mproffitt57 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Hey bud,

Im sorry to here about the accident. I will say I admire your will to keep on keepin on! I do know that Fishpoint, and Harsens Island both have Draw units with handicap Blinds, They also have special dates for hunts as well.

With that note, Do you hunt Point Moullie or that area? If you did you might think about talking with them to set up a special draw unit with an accessible blind.

Finally, Have you looked into a boat with a hunting partner. You should be able to rig some sort of set up up where you can sit and lock in to and then shoot out of no problem. I know it all cost money but Its worth a shot... Let me know if you have any more questions bud and I would be happy to help.
mproffitt57
hunter

Postby suburban_duckman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:32 am

I heard about Fish Pointe having something I called DNR and asked them and asked about water loo area where I use to hunt at few years back but I called DNR pointe mouille they told me no but I been looking at boats especially the go devil floating duck blind but ? $8995 +++ but it wheel chair accessible but can you give some more info to what to do with Pointe mouilli to ask to set something up?
suburban_duckman
hunter

Postby mproffitt57 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:25 am

Ill have to remember the Biologist name and number and I can get it to you. Im not sure if they will be able to but its worth a shot.

Also In regards to the boat. Those are all Welded Jons which are some time overkill, I hunt out at Moullie alot with a riveted 14' Jon (which you can pick up for under 1000 bucks) and mud motor. It would be work but If I were to have to be in a chair, I would put a wood floor on the bottom of the boat, and rig a locking system up (along the lines of what they use in handicap vans). In my 14' there is more than enough room in the front of the boat for a chair. you can then rig a blind up to give your self enough room to shoot.

Ill work on that number and name for you.... and maybe able to send some pics with some ideas from my boat.

Good Luck Bud!
mproffitt57
hunter

Postby suburban_duckman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:16 am

Ok sounds good and thank you much for this ....I picked up a new gun before the accident haven't not got to use till I was cleared from tb e doctor about my chest tlfew weeks and I got a itch to ahoot it !!
suburban_duckman
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting