Looking for someone to show me the ropes.

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Looking for someone to show me the ropes.

Postby Colchis » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:14 pm

I'm new to hunting in general, started deer hunting last year, and got hooked.

This year I'm trying to get into duck/geese. I bought everything needed after a buddy of mine said he'd show me the ropes, then failed to follow through on the promise. Not sure what's up with that, but I'm moving on.

Hoping there's someone out here in southern Michigan who wouldn't mind me tagging along to see how it's done.

I don't mind signing liability waivers, wearing a blindfold, giving up game if I have to, not taking a gun at all, etc.

Looking for a learning experience here, thanks!
Colchis
hunter

Re: Looking for someone to show me the ropes.

Postby goosman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:00 pm

What you are asking for will be hard to come by for a couple of reasons. Im in no way trying to be a **** or anything I was in your shoes before. Th reason people are not willing to do this is even tho you are not wanting to shoot or to see there spots in your general area where ever it may be there are only so many spots when some one teaches you something and you get hooked you become compettion. I have had it happen first hand showed a a guy and his kid the ropes and now they have deaper pockets and know more people then me and I have slowly lost a lot of my spots spots I had permission on for years and then all of a sudden there leased out.. I had to pay a guide to hunt a few times and take mental notes and then go from there I paid for a couple hunts a year with different guides its not cheap but it gets u to your end goal. I saved all my $ in the off season to buy equipment because you never have enough gear in this sport. I.E 15 dozen diver decoys 7 dozen full body geese and then a boat and on on on. so after a lot of years I have all that I need and to be honest learning the best way for you through trial and error is rewarding in itself. pay for a few hunts see how they do stuff and add what u want to make it yours my suggestion is try to get a crew going it helps divide up expenses and make sure there guys that have the same goal in mind good luck to ya. pm me if ya have any questions along the way depending on where u are at in southern Michigan I can probably give ya some good starting points as where to go I know Hillsdale and surrounding real well.
Last Descent Outfitters (616)723-5429
Waterfowl Guide Service
Timber Hunts
Grain Field Hunts
Open Water Layout Diver Hunts
Big boat/pontoon blind
goosman
hunter

Postby Colchis » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:18 am

Yeah. I figured I would mostly be ignored. Never hurts to ask.

I wouldn't even have sunk the money into this stuff if a friend of mine hadn't tried to get me to go with him. now that I bought it all its become "oh sorry, totally forgot to call you last weekend". I like the guy and all but I'm not stupid.

As to competition I'm moving down to the Indianapolis area come late December. So I wouldn't be in the area any longer.

Oh well, worst case scenario is I'll just keep the stuff for deer hunting and get rid of the decoys.

Edit: Also I'm about to be a dad here in early November, with my fiancée planning on being a stay at home mom while she gets college done after the move. My pockets are going to be ANYTHING but deep soon. Haha.
Colchis
hunter

Postby FinnLandR » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:17 am

Southwest or southeast michigan?
FinnLandR
hunter

Postby Colchis » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:43 am

Southwest, I live in Bronson, but don't mind a drive to get out there this season.
Colchis
hunter

Postby FinnLandR » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:03 am

The guy that started this thread is from Kalamazoo, that's near Bronson, right? He was looking for people to hunt with....

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=241393
FinnLandR
hunter

Postby Colchis » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I'll shoot this guy a pm and see if he's still looking for other guys.
Colchis
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting