The bay and fish point

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

The bay and fish point

Postby goosman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:42 pm

How is it up there guys anyone have any reports as far as water levels. last year fish point had a lot of trouble getting any of the zones full of water to even float dekes in for the first week. Also how is water up in wildfowl bay I talked to the guy we rent the cottage from on sand point and he said he hasn't been there since may just curious heading up there in a coupke weeks to get a better idea of whats going on. thanks in advance
Last Descent Outfitters (616)723-5429
Waterfowl Guide Service
Timber Hunts
Grain Field Hunts
Open Water Layout Diver Hunts
Big boat/pontoon blind
goosman
hunter

Re: The bay and fish point

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:17 am

I will be up there this weekend looking at houses. but I do not expect it to be any better than last year.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby blackduckkilla13 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:29 am

I fished sand point in July and water was fine: nothing compared to last year. One HUGE influence on access to the bay is wind direction and strength. If the wind blows hard and from the wrong direction it can drain the bay. I saw large fishing boats going after walleye just outside North Island in Wildfowl bay. We ran out of two marinas and had no problem either time.
blackduckkilla13
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:36 am

Went to fish point last weekend and the 20s and 1 2 3 have very bad corn if any at all. They put blinds in the front row of the 20s so they have 4 blinds in the front rows..not sure how that will turn out this year..But I cant believe how horrible the corn is this year its the worst I've seen it in all the years I been hunting out there.. :fingerhead:
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:23 am

The 20's You can see all 4 blinds and NO cover at all. just standing out in the open. looks like they harvested all the good tall corn and left some scrap corn behind the blind about 18" tall.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:25 am

I wonder what they are planning on doing in the 20 s this year, I know there's a new guy in town running it maybe he has a good thing up his sleeve.I guess only time will tell..They really shy away from the blinds alot and now you cant move away from them with no cover..
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby goosman » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Wow that us saddening to see I always loved hunting 21 looks like crap now maybe that guy knows his stuff but where I cone from he who has the most food shoots the most ducks?? Weird
Waterfowl Guide Service
Timber Hunts
Grain Field Hunts
Big boat/pontoon blind
goosman
hunter

Postby Marshforthesoul » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:21 am

I have a house on the bay in Sebewaing and have been up there most weekends, including the youth hunt this past weekend. Water is up a solid 12 inches from last year. However, we always lose some water in the fall and last year, we had a a drop of at least 10" between youth hunt and regular opener. The good news is that we have had a lot of south winds (which pushes water out of the bay) and the levels have still been up. I'll call it "better"...but not "good" yet.
Marshforthesoul
Newb

Postby goosman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:59 pm

well i drew fish point for opening day gonna give it a wirl have applied last 3 previous yrs with no luck this yr we get to draw if we draw bad is it still worth hunting becuase during the season if i dont draw top 15 i leave and hunt the bay but on opener you think it would be worth it to still hunt with a crap draw
Waterfowl Guide Service
Timber Hunts
Grain Field Hunts
Big boat/pontoon blind
goosman
hunter

Postby luv2hunt2 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:29 pm

Really looking for updated posts on Fish point and the bay as the season progresses. I'm going to try to get there the end of the month or when the flight ducks start to move in. I'm taking my boy and wife and would like to have some good action to get them hooked. Thanks for the posts so far!!!
luv2hunt2
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting