Snyder Signs Legis. Making Hunting/Fishing Licen. More Expen

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

Snyder Signs Legis. Making Hunting/Fishing Licen. More Expen

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:43 pm


Governor Rick Snyder this afternoon signed legislation making it more expensive to get some hunting and fishing licenses in Michigan, in an effort to better support Michigan's natural resources.

The measure sets up a new hunting and fishing fee system.

Under the legislation, the cost of a typical deer hunting license would increase from $15 to $30 and the annual restricted fishing license, which costs $15 for residents, would be eliminated and the $25 all-species license which allows the licensee to fish for all legal species would be the only annual fishing license offered.

Other fees would see less significant increases.

The increases would raise nearly $20 million in more revenue, allowing the Department of Natural Resources to hire more conservation officers and make other improvements.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 8513
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN


Re: Snyder Signs Legis. Making Hunting/Fishing Licen. More E

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Oh just great...wonder if it will effect Non Resident!

I own property in Michigan and pay huge taxes on it, hire Michigan companies and labor all the time to support the economy.

still have to purchase Non Resident license every year... Small game and waterfowl, $78.00 bucks...
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
User avatar
Weedwacker
hunter
 
Posts: 1096
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 am
Location: Naperville,IL

Re: Snyder Signs Legis. Making Hunting/Fishing Licen. More E

Postby Baher20018 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Do you have a link to an article?
Baher20018
hunter
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:27 pm

Re: Snyder Signs Legis. Making Hunting/Fishing Licen. More E

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:22 pm

There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 8513
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN


Re: Snyder Signs Legis. Making Hunting/Fishing Licen. More E

Postby mproffitt57 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:50 am

This a good thing! Bringing more budget to the DNR, in return increasing either land, Conservation Officers, and other conservation expenses. Good deal with me!
mproffitt57
hunter
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:05 am

Re: Snyder Signs Legis. Making Hunting/Fishing Licen. More E

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:30 am

mproffitt57 wrote:This a good thing! Bringing more budget to the DNR, in return increasing either land, Conservation Officers, and other conservation expenses. Good deal with me!


I'm not so quick to judge... I will withhold my verdict until we see what they do with the money.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 8513
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN

Re: Snyder Signs Legis. Making Hunting/Fishing Licen. More E

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:32 pm

interesting, I had a DNR officer tell me that they had a VERY LARGE surplus in the budget and the Gov moved it to fund other programs that were short.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
User avatar
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3757
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:53 am
Location: Linden, MI

Re: Snyder Signs Legis. Making Hunting/Fishing Licen. More E

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:30 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:interesting, I had a DNR officer tell me that they had a VERY LARGE surplus in the budget and the Gov moved it to fund other programs that were short.


That's exactly the kind of information I am waiting for before I pass judgement.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 8513
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN

Re: Snyder Signs Legis. Making Hunting/Fishing Licen. More E

Postby mproffitt57 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:08 am

Thats a fair statement Woody... hows your season looking in SW? Im starting to see an increase in goose and duck numbers...
mproffitt57
hunter
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:05 am

Re: Snyder Signs Legis. Making Hunting/Fishing Licen. More E

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:11 am

mproffitt57 wrote:Thats a fair statement Woody... hows your season looking in SW? Im starting to see an increase in goose and duck numbers...


We are still missing a lot of water from last year’s drought, but in some spots I noticed an increase in activity from the first week of early goose to the last. Hunted the same spot the first and last weekends, and saw 120ish and 200ish ducks respectively.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 8513
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN

Re: Snyder Signs Legis. Making Hunting/Fishing Licen. More E

Postby John Singer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:29 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:interesting, I had a DNR officer tell me that they had a VERY LARGE surplus in the budget and the Gov moved it to fund other programs that were short.


That's exactly the kind of information I am waiting for before I pass judgement.


Really, you were waiting for some second hand hearsay?

Before you "pass judgement" you may wish to do some research on your own.

Read this here: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363-170963--,00.html

What is going on is that the Wildlife Division receives very little money from the General Fund.

Also, Look up something called the Pittman-Robertson Fund and understand that this change in license structure will increase state access to those earmarked federal funds that we, as sportsman, have paid for through excise taxes on sporting arms and equipment. Also read about the governor's initiative to place more conservation officers in the field.

Here is a source of information: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_14518_65243---,00.html

Realize that this is the first increase in license fees since the 1990's. For some out of state hunters, it will actually save them money.
John Singer
John Singer
hunter
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:16 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Snyder Signs Legis. Making Hunting/Fishing Licen. More E

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:33 pm

John Singer wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:interesting, I had a DNR officer tell me that they had a VERY LARGE surplus in the budget and the Gov moved it to fund other programs that were short.


That's exactly the kind of information I am waiting for before I pass judgement.


Really, you were waiting for some second hand hearsay?

Before you "pass judgement" you may wish to do some research on your own.

Read this here: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363-170963--,00.html

What is going on is that the Wildlife Division receives very little money from the General Fund.

Also, Look up something called the Pittman-Robertson Fund and understand that this change in license structure will increase state access to those earmarked federal funds that we, as sportsman, have paid for through excise taxes on sporting arms and equipment. Also read about the governor's initiative to place more conservation officers in the field.

Here is a source of information: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_14518_65243---,00.html

Realize that this is the first increase in license fees since the 1990's. For some out of state hunters, it will actually save them money.


"Kind" is the key word... Very vague, not calling out a specific source or credibility.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
User avatar
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter
 
Posts: 8513
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm
Location: Back in SW MICHIGAN

Re: Snyder Signs Legis. Making Hunting/Fishing Licen. More E

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:13 pm

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-15 ... --,00.html

They've sure got a lofty set of goals.
It needs more cowbell.
User avatar
Botiz630
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 16681
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm
Location: Indiana


Return to Michigan Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest