Duck Hunting Forum banner

Which Gun

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  quackerkiller 
#1 ·
Right now I am a single gun owner...I know shame on me. Currenlt have a Benelli Super Nova. Would like to buy a second gun but can't go crazt. I have narrowed it down to the Storger M2000 in the Max4HD camo pattern, Benelli Nova in the Timber camo pattern, and the Beretta 3901 as far as I know this does not come in a camo pattern.

My current gun is non camo...so I think it would be cool to have one. The Storger and Beretta are semi-autos that only shoot 3" shells and the Benelli is a pump that shoots 3 1/2". What do you think...all are priced within $75 of each other and won't break my bank.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts.

#2 ·
You have a sup nova so I would go with the 3901, but I am a Beretta fan. It has a shim system like your nova so you can adjust it some. Try them all out a bunch of times to find the one that fits good. Also check this out

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=32008

I like the 390 better then the last 391 and it has the mag cut off, which I don't think the 3901 has. The older 391 was stocked more like the target guns and the 390 was stocked as a field gun and more like the xtrema is now.

#3 ·
My Nephew shoots the Beretta 391. I've never seen it jam, so I would consider it strongly. Personally I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 and absolutly love it! Big thing in my personal opinion: stick with the Inertia operated guns if your going to go the semi-auto guns. I also reccomend the Synthetic stocks over the wood for duck & goose. [black or camo doesn't matter] - (that way you don't spend all your time worrying about marking up your nice wood.) Don't hesitate to look for a used one, (Gander can do a nationwide search for you) that way you can buy the gun you "want" for les $$$.

#4 ·
I'd say decide based on your budget, how much you hunt, and your preferred ammo. If you get a lot of hunting in and can afford it then go Super Black Eagle. Or since you've already got a good Super Nova you can get it filmed. I believe you can send it in to Benelli or I think Gander offers it too. Or you can just stand pat, I have a buddy with a black SBE, out 40+ times a year, and limits out a LOT. Personally I think calling and experience are what count. No one really knows what color of gun waterfowl like or dislike anyway :)

Dance with the one that brought ya.

#7 ·
I bought a Stoeger earlier this year and really like it. I've got around 150 rounds through it so far and it shoots great. You'll see a lot of claims that it kicks like a mule, but I think it kicks less than my 870. I think it's a good gun for the money. If you can't afford an M1 or SBEII, I'd get the Stoeger. It's really easy to clean as well. I would recommend getting aftermarket chokes for it though. The Beretta/Benelli (old style) chokes work in it. PM me if you have any questions about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.