Duck Hunting Forum banner

Kalamazoo County

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  giant ganderz 
#1 ·
I'll be going to Western Michigan next year and I'm looking for a place to hunt, doesn't matter if it's public land or a lease. I'm having trouble using the DNR website, the maps just don't want to load. I'd appreciate any help someone may be willing to offer.

Thanks, John

#2 ·
I will PM you when I get a chance to think up some areas. Where are you from? I don't have a pile of good duck spots to share, but I know some public areas you can try. I may be able to do better with field hunting geese. PM me and let me know more about you and what you have in mind.

#3 ·
well all i can say is good luck..you have entered a world of hurt...the kalamazoo area is torched. it has been hit really hard with lots of local guides and i know because i used to be one here. the geese dont leave the city very often, its really hard to find permission, and the geese are really smart... like probably the smartest in the country... they dont like decoys, they even land away from live geese in fields.. and they are extremely call shy as the season progresses. these geese have seen it all and the only way to really kill them any more around kazoo is if everything is just right... you have to have good wind enough to use it in your favor anyway... very low visability snow, rain, or fog... to keep them low coming out of town... and perfect concealment you better have the blinds your in buried or disappeared....you have to really trick them and you better be in the field they are feeding in... they are about impossible to traffic them.. sorry for the bad news but the best thing for you to do honestly is look away from kalamazoo...

#4 ·
Yeah, like clay just said, these geese are smart. We kill lots of geese all over southern Michgan, but nothing gets us as excited as when we put a hurtin on KZ geese, because it doesnt happen all the time. Good luck man.

#6 ·
scouting isnt any problem here. trust me i spend atleast 6-8 hours scouting every time i scout and can cover 4-5 counties if i find a spot i still keep looking. the problem with kalamazoo is there are to many idiots around. and its about impossible anymore to get permission any where because of those idiots. leaving crap in fields, getting stuck in fields, trespassing, etc... we dont have a problem killing geese in kalamazoo i would just rather stay away and hunt less pressured geese and not deal with all the non scence there is to deal with around kalamazoo.

#8 ·
Choppy said:
Yeah I know all about the idiots....trust me! Those chemical birds are the toughest in the country IMO! But, there are other places to smack 'em where the pressure isn't too bad...
ive killed geese in lots of other places. and i agree with you those geese are the toughest in the country to kill and i would put anything on that. who am i speaking with? if you dont want to post your name here pm me. sounds like i should know who you are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.