Duck Hunting Forum banner

Moving to SW Michigan (St. Joe) - Need advice

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  j6mccauslin 
#1 ·
Hi-

I'll be moving up to St. Joe next week with my family and hunting partner, Drake (1-year old yellow lab). I have a never-in-the-water Otter Stealth 2000 with a 40 lb thrust trolling motor that I plan to use to hunt ducks and geese with this season.

Does anyone know of any trolling motor only lakes or marshes in that part of the state that are open to waterfowl hunting? Are all of the lakes in that area open to waterfowl hunting? I read the regulations on the Michigan DNR website, and it appears that all lakes are fair game, unless posted, as long as I am not on land or within 150 yards of a building - is this a correct interpretation of the law?

Next question - is there a local hunting retriever club within reasonable driving distance? I found the Kanakaee River HRC in Indiana, but that looks like an hour's drive from St. Joe. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
John

#2 ·
Might be able to do some hunting on Paw Paw Lake, not too sure about that, up, I've heard good things about going out on the big lake....not exactly sure of where though. Grand mere....north lake you can usually do a little. Grand mere is usually packed full of people though and not very large. I have hard times finding stuff around here. You could try floating the river and see what you find. They're around here once in awhile....but not tons. That's what I got for ya. I do a little hunting out in Coloma, but do most of it up in Allegan at the state game area.
A lot of the smaller lakes that hold birds, are closed for hunting that I've seen. I'm not even trying to keep my secret spots cause, there really aren't any around here. Probably have to put some miles on the truck and go lookin'. Maybe towards, baroda, galien, taht direction. Not sure about how many lakes you'll find that way though.

Hope some of this helped at least a little.

Joe

#3 ·
I dont know how far your willing to travel, but we do all our hunting in Cass Co. its not great and its all mostly private property, but if you can find a good private lake chances are youll have it all to yourself, and thier are tons of fields you just have to be on the right ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.