Duck Hunting Forum banner

EGS

848 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  5oclocktealpeal 
#1 ·
You guys got your goose spots picked out and ready to go yet? I've got two weeks of work left then I'm hightailing it out of Ann Arbor back up to the good ole UP with my new pup. Hoping to have a little more time for scouting this year than I did last.

How many decoys do you guys usually run early season?

#2 ·
Just starting scouting this morning. Not to promising, yet......

I use all the deeks I can afford.... Those little bastards are expensive. I think between me an a buddy we run, 3 dozen shells with flocked heads, 6 bigfoots, 2 dozens siloettes (sp?) and mojo mallard sometimes.

#5 ·
Bob, i never set out more than a dozen dekes for the early season. usaully a small group of four to six with another group 10 or 15 yards away. i usally use 6 or 8 bigfoots and a half dozen convert a goose or aqua-vac decoys that sit lower to the ground. we used to try and set out all our dekes but we were flaring alot of birds, we noticed when scouting early season that even fields that had 30 or forty birds in them the birds were landing in small groups of four to eight and keeping there distance from each others groups somewhat more than later in the season. since we've been putting out less dekes we get the birds in alot closer. try to pay attention to what there doing if ya get out to scout. if you dont have time to scout early pay attention to how big the flocks are that you see flyin and match that

#6 ·
I am new to geese but I have a dozen shells, and 2 floaters. I am trying to buff up my spread by sep first but if my scounting/getting permission goes the way it is now, I might just get some more mallard dekes. (anyone want to take a kid (17) hunting and show me the ropes call me at 248 794 7181. Much apprechiated. Ill meet you wherever. real familiar with southeast mi).

#7 ·
I might shoot you a message around Late goose season when I'm back in town, my hunting buddy is in Colorado now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.