Layout hunting lake St Claire

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Layout hunting lake St Claire

Postby Baher20018 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Would a 18ft Jon boat with a 20 hp motor be a useable tender boat on lake st claire?
Baher20018
hunter

Re: Layout hunting lake St Claire

Postby mproffitt57 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:48 pm

I would want at least a modified V to cut the waves. I have almost sunk a jon boat in lake erie because they slap the waves rather than cut them... If you hunt lighter I might be fine.
mproffitt57
hunter

Re: Layout hunting lake St Claire

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:19 am

It would work but I will never do it again, I had an 18' Grizzly modified V which is basically a flatbottom john. When the waves pick up you start to loose directional control and it is hard to steer the boat or keep a straight line. I am not talking white caps either but just a real good roll will push the boat all over the place. It had high sides and there was no issue with water coming over but a 45 min ride took about 2 hours fighting the waves back to the landing and that was with 40hp. We had 4 guys and gear in the boat at the time.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting