MI hunting?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

MI hunting?

Postby Jimmy82 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:21 am

So, I'm on the back half of my military career and I'm starting to put together options for what to do after retirement. I have some really good friends of the family that live near Flint that I would not mind living close to. But they're not hunters, so I'm curious about hunting opportunities in MI. Is there a good % of public land? I like grouse hunting too, and I've heard that a lot of guys go to the U.P. for that and Deer. Are there good options other than going all the way up to the U.P.?
Jimmy82
hunter

Re: MI hunting?

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:01 am

I live just south of Flint and there is not much of a hunting opportunity in the area, the public land is generally over run from September thru December and the private land is tied up by guys that have been using it for years. I generally travel north and you can find some good hunting areas around Houghton lake for tree rats and birds. I have even hunted deer and bear up there and if you do your homework you can find them. I am lucky enough to have friends in the area that do not hunt but keep me informed of the "talk" and the good areas.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jimmy82 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:56 am

Thanks for the response. I got an old army buddy that I might be able to track down too, he's more into fishing IIRC but a friendly face is better than nothing.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby Cboettcher12 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:17 am

I do a lot of hunting in the Saginaw Bay Area. Let me know if your ever interested! The name is Cameron. It's a pleasure to help anyone out.
Cboettcher12
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:47 am

Thanks guys. Sorry I haven't followed up sooner, got kinda busy. The wife will be spending a month out in Grand Blanc this summer, might have her look around at some neighborhoods.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby CorkDust » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:14 am

Draw a line, east to west, from Grand Haven to Grand Rapids, east to Clare and Lake Huron. The farther you travel north of this line, the better the grouse hunting, both in access and opportunity. Southern Michigan deer hunting-Jackson,Calhoun, Washtenhaw counties offer the best. Saginaw Bay, Shiawassee, Lake St. Clair marshes offer good duck and goose hunting.

I am not a fan of urban blight areas.

I would encourage you to look at Grand Rapids area up to Muskegon, fewer people, less crime, better outdoor access for hunting and fishing. There is a migration corridor that swings through Michigan from Ludington south to South Haven for ducks. East of Grand Rapids you can get into Southern James Bay origin Canadas. Mississippi Valley flock "splits" on Lake Michigan, moving down the coasts southward during fall migrations. Giant Canadas abound in south central Michigan, offering late season hunting season annually.
CorkDust
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting