Duck Hunting Forum banner

Your local duck situation?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  duckbuster808 
#1 ·
Not looking promising in the BC/Kazoo area. Have geese coming out of our ears but seeing very few ducks (except city parks and they're even down) and even scarier how few young they have. Geese have invaded nearly, if not all the little potholes that the ducks used to nest on, a 12oz Teal or even a big Mallard has no chance against a 12lb goose in a squabble over a nest site. Did a 10 hour float of the Kazoo river Memorial Day for Smallies, never saw or heard a Woodie, usually at least hear a bunch. Just curious what you've been seeing.

#2 ·
I have seen 8 malard hatchlings and hundreds of geese. i dont know i hope canada comes in with some big numbers.. or this sesson is done before it is started..

#3 ·
Probabyly got 100+ geese behind the house and have been seeing quite a few broods of black ducks and a couple mallards.

Oh and the cormorants :pissed:

-On a side note fawns are out in full force......... and running everywhere!

#4 ·
Heard a rumor that they are considering lowering the Honker limit from 5 to 3. Anyone else hear or know about this? If true I'd love to know their reasoning, they're as thick as ever and have taken over in my area. ~~ On a sad note, saw some dead duck hatchlings along side the road, seems that they were being moved from a drying up pothole to another with at least a little water in it. Need some meaningful rain.

#5 ·
The reduction is fact not rumor. The early season will be 3 not 5. While we all see lots of geese in the backyard ponds, lakes, golf courses and corporate ponds the goose numbers suprisingly are way down vs 5 yrs ago. Also there is talk that the limits may be reduced to 1 instead of 2 for the reg season. or the season shortned even more than it is. Migratory numbers are way down but still seems to be a lot of local birds that usually don't get harvested.

#6 ·
Drove by a couple of my fields where they just took down the wheat. In one 330 acre field there were at least 10 family units of 8-10, In a 60 acre field just down the road there were 4 family units with a couple more swinging in. Numbers are a bit down over the past 5 years but there are still way to many. Virtually every small pothole I go by has geese in it not ducks. Seeing very few local ducks, they don't have any safe places to nest anymore, the geese took them.

#7 ·
woody27 can i ask you where you got your info on the limits being reduced to three instead of 5?? i would like to read up on that info.
thanks

DB808

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.