Any guys here?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

Any guys here?

Postby HonkShooter » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:46 pm

Just wondering if there were any guys here from Michigan. If so... where in Michigan are you from? I'm from St. Joe, but do some hunting up in the Bay City, Saginaw area once in awhile too with some relatives. Hope to hear from you guys.
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:29 pm

hey im from grosse ile south of you its an island and has alot of mallards and some good divers 2.
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HonkShooter » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:03 pm

Hey, any guys going to be doing any goose hunting in sw michigan for early season?
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby Brent » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:30 am

Good to see some Michigan hunters- I wish more of us were here.

Anyone hunt the Sept 1. early goose opener yesterday?

I took the day off with some friends and hunted Shiawassee- and boy was it dissapointing. Not a single goose shot, though we did have some blown opportunities.

The numbers seem waaaaay down from last year, and hunters we talked to that had hunted Fish Point and the Saginaw Bay also reported fewer goose sightings than normal.

On the upside duck numbers were reported as high by everyone we spoke too, and looked good where we were too.

Brent
Brent
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:41 am

i hunted in monroe and we got 3 in the moring and will be going tomma and have a great field with a couple hundred birds using it
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

YEAH!!

Postby michgnhntr » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:09 pm

Well the opener here was blue and hot. We saw lots of birds in the Nunica area. I got 2 in the a.m., then got a triple in the p.m. hunt. Glad thats it's here, I love this! How about the rest of the state? I'm from Grand Rapids area.
michgnhntr
hunter

Postby HonkShooter » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:34 pm

My dad and I are gonna go out on Saturday, but haven't seen much around. It's all about luck for us. Just not any birds around here. Maybe we'll get lucky otherwise we might just end up shootin some clays. Good luck guys
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Mich, hunters come over here

Postby Walpole Island Hunter » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:15 pm

Hey there .... if you all are looking for some good duck hunting maybe come over my way ...Walpole Island, Ontario, canada eh :thumbsup: ..it's about a hours north east of detroit Mich, ....So if you all got nothing better to do someday come on over! :tounge:
Walpole Island, Ontario, Canada is where the duck action is!
Walpole Island Hunter
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:12 pm

my dads hunted over there he always talks about it and hes been hunting a very long time and he says it prolly the best duck hunting around.....
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Muskegon

Postby Musselman » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:25 pm

Hey im from muskegon and hunt about every day i can. any one else ever hunt the marsh or muskegon lake. i shoot a lot of ducks and i am just wondering if you guys think it should be as good as past years.
Musselman
hunter

Howdy

Postby Tractor » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:02 am

I'm not a guy but I duck hunt in Michigan. I'm from Davison but we go all over to hunt. We hunt mostly Lake St.Clair. Until we got the layout boat we hunted up at Harson's. Now we've got two layout boats and a tender boat.
Tractor
hunter

Postby Layout » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:32 pm

Well, am I the only yooper on this board? Reside in Menominee, Mi. For those of you that don't know where that is, it is the southern U.P.

I'm a layout shooter. :thumbsup: I've gunned from Lake Erie, St.Clair, Lake Michigan, Raber Bay, Mitchells Bay Canada(the best), Indian Lake and a lot of other U.P. lakes and Green Bay.

Any other yoopers on this board.

Oh yea and I'm originally from the Downriver area. :salude:
A ton of lead anchors

- Long live the retired "duck bus".
Layout
hunter

Postby Tarponman » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:45 pm

I am a field duck hunter. we hunt a grain field next to a cow pasture that will hold3 to 4 hundred mallards every fall. Saturday I killed 8 of them with my dad. We don't hunt it often because once you blast at these brids more than twice they boogie. I guess I can't blame them. Saturday we set farther away in a small pond so they would hopefully stay around longer. We used the cabelas vortex spinning wing system. It was amazing! had two groups of 50 light right in in.

I have a 2 man layout boat but have never used it I would love to hear soem of you layout shooters stories, techniques and tactics so please share!
Tarponman
hunter

Layout stories huh?

Postby Tractor » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:40 pm

I gotta couple... One of the very first times I ever went out in the layout boat, I was exausted. I had stayed up too late that night and we'd gotten up at 4:30. My dad gets me into the layout boat and I was there all be myself. I got really bored watching for ducks and started spacing out. The next thing I knew I was feeling my dad taking my gun from me. I'd fallen asleep and had my arms wrapped around my gun.

Another time my dad was in the boat and the sun was in his eyes. Ducks had been coming in like wild fire. He saw some flapping in front of him and thought it was a duck so he shot. Then, we went to get it and found a seagull. He still gets teased about that.

We tease my uncle all the time cause when he's in the layout boat, he cocks his hat funny to block the sun.

Anyone else got some stories?
Tractor
hunter

Postby Layout » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:12 pm

Ok I'll play,

We took one of our buddies (he's a field hunter) out on his first layout shoot (on Lake Mich.) and it was a little bit windy to say the least. I was in the tender boat and I dropped him off in the layout to shoot first. As I was sitting in the tender boat about 500-1000yrds. away, I noticed my buddy sitting up in the layout. Now he hasn't been in the layout boat for more than 15 minutes. I watched him for about 5 minutes and all the sudden he starts to wave me over to him. Well, I get there and here he is all green and pale in the face and vomit everywhere! On him, the boat, his gun, all over the place :eek: :eek: SEA SICK I've never seen anyone look so sick in my life, I didn't know if I should pick him up or leave him there. :laughing: Ha, Ha.

Well, I finally got him in the tender and drove him to the shore line. Needless to say the layout boat was a complete stinkin' mess. We still to this day give him a good ribbin' for being "pukey boy". :thumbsup:
A ton of lead anchors

Layout
hunter

Postby Tarponman » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:16 am

That is a great story Layout! How rough is it in the layout boats? Does it really get bad or does it just take getting used to? what kind of ducks come to a spread like that? Is it Mallards? I heard it is harder than hell to shoot from those things and the birds are really caring the ,ail when they do come in
Tarponman
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:25 am

with a layout rig you mostly shoot divers but you will get some wigs, mallards and most of you puddlers. ANd yea it can get real nasty in a layout but if you have a good boat its not that bad and if your use to it then its nothing.
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Layout » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:35 pm

The water that we hunt up here (Green Bay) mainly has huge rolling waves. Unlike lake Erie or Saginaw Bay where you deal with chop. The rolling waves can make you sick if you don't have a cast iron gut. Riding in a layout is like lying in a soft water bed. If you close your eyes long enough you'll be sleeping like a baby in no time. The layout that I have rides real nice in the water. But if the wind changes directions it can get real nasty fast.

Shooting out of a layout boat is really no diffrent that field hunting on your back. The birds come in like a rocket ship 2-3 feet off the water :eek: :eek: and just bomb in. If they swing past that makes for some extreme wing shooting. Nothing like trying to shoot a Can, redhead or blue bill that is travelling at 50+mph. Yep, I miss a lot. Not afraid to admit that! :laughing:

I have killed almost every type of waterfowl out of a layout. Even geese. If there are mallards or black ducks that we see, we'll just attach one mallard block at the end of each main line.

The layout is designed mainly for harvesting pesky divers. But can also be deadly in a marsh or flooded field. :thumbsup:
A ton of lead anchors

Layout
hunter

looking for some hunter

Postby Walpole Island Hunter » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:07 pm

Hey there everyone , I'm from Walpole Isalnd Ontario Canada the hunting is pretty good over here now so if any of ya'z want a good hunt maybe give us a call (519) 383-8356 , will be doing the cornfield hunting pretty soon they just cut them , so give it a week or so and it well be some pretty kick A** hunting :salude: so if you want to try something new other then lake hunting come on over , call for more info about us :cool: anywho happy hunting to all :thumbsup:
Walpole Island, Ontario, Canada is where the duck action is!
Walpole Island Hunter
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting