Crow swatting

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Crow swatting

Postby Cobra » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:49 pm

Anyone else airing out their waterfowl guns on crows? Found it's the best way for me to get ready for early goose. Went 6 for 8 today in ~45 mins. Forgot to take the bug spray, skeeters and deerflys were thick and hungry, but my shooting efforts felt good.
Cobra
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:36 am

I usually do my crow hunting in the winter....when there is little else to hunt! :smile: Usually this time of year, I am busy doing last minute things to get ready for hunting season, like sighting in the muzzleloader, trap shooting, getting the yard work done, ect. Might have to give it a go when I am off in a couple of weeks.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby kulsh » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:38 pm

I have never crow hunted.. here is a really stupid question do you guys eat them and if so what do they taste like?
Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself.
Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34.
kulsh
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:56 pm

While I have 'eaten crow' in the past, it wasn't any of the ones I've shot! :yes:
I have seen recipes for them, but never had the nerve to try 'em......usually shoot them as varmints, like coyotes. If anything will teach you about camoflage and concealment, a crow will!
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:39 am

Have had the chance to try them once, "NO THANKS" on a repeat, but that guy really loves them. Thought the recipe needed a couple more gallons of barbeque sauce or kerosene. Farmers simply want them gone and it's just good solid practice on a live target that's smarter than a goose. Went 2 for 3 yesterday on the same farm as last week. They're avoiding that farm, mission accomplished there. On to the next farm. Won't be long now for some eaters to get nailed.
Cobra
hunter

Postby pike_mazter » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:55 pm

I heard that crows carry some kind of disease and thats another reason why they are hunted. When noon hits on Sept. 1st crows should steer clear of me. The less geese I take the more crows I take. (I just need something to take my aggretion out on)
pike_mazter
hunter

crow shooting

Postby TopGunMich » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:56 pm

I used to make a few cut outs of crows, paint them blk. Go out into a field by a tree. Tie them on one end of a light line, throw the weighted end over a limb and raise them into the tree. These, light decoys really drawed them in. Arent they supposed to carry West Nile Virus now ? Isnt that why the Farmers want them gone ?
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting