Illegal duck Grebe

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Illegal duck Grebe

Postby BigBC22 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:36 pm

I hunted opening middle zone on the AuSable. I am just learning the birds and typically hunt with 2 experienced hunters. I shot and killed a duck I initially thought was a Teal and the hunters I was with also thought it was a Teal. This was the only bird we took today. When arriving back at the launch we saw the DNR there and when they asked to see our ducks, I showed them and the DNR actually said it was a Grebe which is not legal to take. She gave me a ticket and I have to contact the court, she also took my gun. Does anyone know what can happen out of this, what the charge and fines are, are they going to keep my gun. It was an honest mistake, but I know I should know the birds I take.
BigBC22
Newb

Postby DuckFlyer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Dont know your answer, But, I carry with me a field guide that uses not only the wing ID but also the BILL and even feet ID. I have to say, I didn't know you couldn't take Grebe's though I also wouldn't know one if it hit me, (I'll have to check it out) But I do know - NO CANVASBACKS. Thankfully we dont see many anyway in my area. The pocket size book is "LeMaster Method Waterfowl Identification"
A mans gotta belive in something, I believe I'll go hunting!
DuckFlyer
hunter

Postby DuckFlyer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:19 pm

Just found the Grebe's in my book. I don't know how these could be mistaken for a Teal, (merganser maybe) Look on the internet and find a picture and see if it looks like your bird, (though I doubt it, perhaps the dnr officer made a mistake - hopefully they keep the bird for you to look at again)
A mans gotta belive in something, I believe I'll go hunting!
DuckFlyer
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:33 pm

Ive heard of Grebes, but have never seen one knowingly. After some research it seems there are several differnet grebes, none of which look like a GW teal, although one species turns a darker brown during the fall and winter months.

Heres a link to some of the more common Grebes
http://montereybay.com/creagrus/grebes.html

GW teal
http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowlG ... index.html

Heres a good link to help you study I.D.
http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowlgallery.aspx

Good luck with your case.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Cobra » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:05 pm

:oops2: Fairly common bird. Got to ask, catch hostile grief for it yearly. But why do people start shooting at things that they can't identify? Know I come from an outdated/old approach but was always taught that if you couldn't identify the target, don't even consider shooting. Usually not cheap$$$$$$$$$$$$
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:44 pm

my guess is that you need to start looking for a new gun
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby Cobra » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:26 pm

........and hope they don't keep your license. Check book will come in handy.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby MerkEm » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:57 am

Chances are u will get your gun back... But i have a question? Did it swim in? I have never seen a grebe fly always had them swim in... I was hunting in southern indiana and this guy came in with 2 ducks, One was a teal and the other was a grebe.. Well C/O was right there and wrote him a ticket... Grebes and teal both small birds but a Grebe sits way lower in the water... Anyways chances are the tickets are gonna stick with some fines and u will get your gun back! Thats kinda a small deal compared to other things that are going on, I know a C/O around here and he is currently working on a case about a guy who has taken over 20 antlered deer this year, Cutting off heads and letting the rest lay... Thats a poacher! Good luck with your case
MerkEm
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:48 pm

Either study your game and understand what your killing or just hunt squirrels, you cant mistake them.
hankrt
hunter

Postby animalx1 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:08 pm

"Ducks at a Distance". Go here:

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/bird ... /index.htm

You can go to each individual page or scroll down, find the file duckdist.zip and download it. It may not be a field guide, but you can study it at home on your computer at your leisure.

One of the first things I was taught when I had a gun in my hand was if you don't know what it is when you are looking at it, don't shoot.

Elbert
animalx1
hunter

Postby Bill Collector Bob » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:13 pm

Hey now it's true that we need to know our quarry before we squeeze but lets layoff a bit, I've given up on "Michigan sportsmans forum" b/c every thing you post gets slammed by 20 people who think they can do no wrong lets not do that here on good 'ole DHC.

You'll get your gun back, have to pay a restitution fine for the bird have to pay a fine for protected bird shooting or something of the like, nothing too too ridiculous, just make sure you let them know you truly made a mistake and you're a sportsman not a poacher. Just remember the state wants money not bad guys and hey maybe the CO won't show...

Obviously a side by side is easier than in the field but the beak is a good indicator even in low light, plus the grebe will dive quite a bit
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." -Fred Bear
Bill Collector Bob
hunter

Postby animalx1 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:41 pm

...every thing you post gets slammed by 20 people who think they can do no wrong...

Didn't mean to come off that way, was trying to make more of a cautionary statement. No offense meant. If anyone can make a mistake, it'll be me.
animalx1
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:52 am

Thought he got off easy here, no bashing, just use some common sense from now on. If you don't know what it is, don't shoot. Fairly easy concept. Hope it works out for him.
Cobra
hunter

thats sucks

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:27 pm

we have alot of grebe on one lake i hunt, i dont know how you got one in flight, never seen any fly in, just pop up out of the water (we had five or six sat morning playing with the decoys). I feel you it is hard to tell what a bird is in early light (they all have some other duck that looks just like them at a distance), just be careful next time, good luck with the gun and be carefull.

Remember when hunting teal they kind of bob around when flying not like the other ducks who fly straight in, i have a buddy that shot a young wood duck (1/2 the size of a usual one) thinking it was a teal during teal season in another state.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:31 pm

I am Surprised they gave you a ticket but more Surprised you mistook it for a teal, but you should get your gun back after the court appearance, if it is your first time you will probably pay a fine and get a lecture on identifying the birds.

We watched 2 seperate groups of guys on Saginaw bay calling (with a goose call) and shooting Comerant. they got several of them too.

How do you mistake this for a goose?

GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:
Last edited by waterfowlhunter on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:31 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:I am Surprised they gave you a ticket but more Surprised you mistook it for a teal, but you should get your gun back after the court appearance, if it is your first time you will probably pay a fine and get a lecture on identifying the birds.

We watched 2 seperate groups of guys on Saginaw bay calling (with a goose call) and shooting Comerant. they got of them several too.

How do you mistake this for a goose?

GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

Wow, that's awful. A grebe is much more understandable than a comerant.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:53 pm

:hijacked:

Sorry for hijacking your post.

If you see a lot of comerant, They do tend to look like a goose or flock of geese in the distance. If you watch the wing beat and also the fact the they glide at times you know what they are. but in 40 to 50 yds (shooting distance) there is NO MISTAKING them for anything else.

But we also watched a group in fish point area 21 shoot a swan last year. of course nothing could be done about it because no one would admit to it and no one seen who pulled the trigger. we were right behind them and watched it fall, One shot and down it came out of a group of 4. Several people reported them but the officer said that unless they carried it out he could not do a thing about it.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:06 pm

I wondered why there were so many C.O.'s around the area. I heard that some guys shot at some swans too. :no:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby nitrousneil » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:41 pm

i know i am from a different state and our courts are different, but i had a guy from out group(close friend also) shoot a grebe and when it was all said and done it cost him $800 in court cost and fines, bird replacement fees, ect... he did not get his gun back. that is what happend to him, you may get off easy with less money and get your gun back.
neil gibson
high plains honker #0031
smm/tr hybrid
showtime#153 red/clear
dmm#3571 red/clear
strait meat honker red/clear
nitrousneil
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MIhuntr » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:48 pm

i was hunting with my dad and we saw some ruddies oon a pond we have never seen em on before, we coulent tell what they were because they were still partially in eclipse, we didnt take em because we didnt know what they were and they disappeared while we stalked in range
MIhuntr
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:48 pm

MIhuntr wrote:i was hunting with my dad and we saw some ruddies oon a pond we have never seen em on before, we coulent tell what they were because they were still partially in eclipse, we didnt take em because we didnt know what they were and they disappeared while we stalked in range

:thumbsup: Good call. Always better to just not shoot if you can't ID your target......I thought they were still teaching that in hunter's safety.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Re: Illegal duck Grebe

Postby surfr716 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:59 pm

Theyre not that hard to confuse with a teal, similar size, almost identical wing beat pattern and similar coloring in the winter, its even worse in the fog. Shooting only what you can positively id is a great thing and im not taking anything away from the post that recomended it as a course of action, but to those that say they havent ever made a mistake id-ing a bird i say you're full of crap. mistakes happen, hes paying for his, no reason to add insult to injury
surfr716
Newb

Postby spartansfan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:20 pm

how nice of you to bring a post from the dead that no one cares about anymore
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby Cobra » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:47 pm

1 post , 2 year old subject. Anti trolling to start trouble
Cobra
hunter

Postby Joshua » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:38 am

This might be a stupid question but does anyone know where I can find a list of waterfowl I can harvest?
The areas I hunt are loaded with wood ducks with an occasional mallard or green winged teal,I ussually just get my limit of wood ducks and call it a day.
I have to ask because unless I overlooked it in the MI waterfowl hunting guide there is no section giving the waterfowl we can not harvest, like grebes. I have also never seen a section saying we can harvest teals and other ducks.
I got to ask because some of the areas I plan to hunt show shovelers, ruddy, and ringneck ducks in the area according to the weekly waterfowl counts.
Any help would be appreciated.
Joshua
hunter

Next

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting