Illegal duck Grebe

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Re: Illegal duck Grebe

Postby Cobra » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:14 am

Grebes, Cormorants, Seagulls are not considered huntable waterfowl. Can't shoot Swans or Cranes here either, otherwise http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowl-id and have at it, many you won't see except at a preserve or as a mount
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Re:

Postby g_maxson » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:12 am

A-Bomb wrote:I wondered why there were so many C.O.'s around the area. I heard that some guys shot at some swans too. :no:

You mean like this, Adam? Someone might mis id this swan as a snow goose?

g_maxson
hunter

Postby Cobra » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:48 pm

Like hell'hecan
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:23 pm

Huh? Obviously that is not a pelican but a snow goose, look at the black on the wings. :huh:
g_maxson
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:01 pm

dead giveaway for grebe is just to set still and watch for the dive no puddler does it and also small bill more like a coots bill!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby Cobra » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:01 pm

http://www.shonreed.com/gallery/favorites.htm Hope it wasn't shot at, never seen a yellow "necked?" Snow with eyes behind the "neck?" as well
Cobra
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:56 am

Cobra wrote:http://www.shonreed.com/gallery/favorites.htm Hope it wasn't shot at, never seen a yellow "necked?" Snow with eyes behind the "neck?" as well

We should have shot it, but thought it was a swan. Obvious now that it was a snow goose. They use the big pouch under their bill to store corn for the flight south. Sort of like a chip munck.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:20 am

g_maxson wrote:
Cobra wrote:http://www.shonreed.com/gallery/favorites.htm Hope it wasn't shot at, never seen a yellow "necked?" Snow with eyes behind the "neck?" as well

We should have shot it, but thought it was a swan. Obvious now that it was a snow goose. They use the big pouch under their bill to store corn for the flight south. Sort of like a chip munck.

You missed a real tropy there....we got 5 last weekend. Should make a good batch of jerky.
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:56 pm

right in the "limits" section it tells you what you can shoot and how many for the most part. Any "duck" that you will see in this area is fair game along with coot and geese. pick up a "ducks at a distance" book and study it a bit. and basically only shoot what you can clearly identify and avoid the hens.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:50 pm

I hear ya Gene...lol.....Nice shoot on Friday and Saturday by the way.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:56 pm

A-Bomb wrote:I hear ya Gene...lol.....Nice shoot on Friday and Saturday by the way.

I need to move to the U.P.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby rnteeh721 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:01 pm

I think it is redic about the whole grebe situation If they are so protected and illegal to shoot why the Hell is there nothing about them in the Michigan waterfowl digest id push that issue if u have to go to court. I mean a unexperienced waterfowl hunter is not goung to know what a grebe is if its not even in the law book.
rnteeh721
Newb

Postby spartansfan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:10 pm

oh boy not the grebe talk again. simple answer. know what your shooting at. no excuses. end of story. this thread died for a reason
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:12 pm

rnteeh721 wrote:I think it is redic about the whole grebe situation If they are so protected and illegal to shoot why the Hell is there nothing about them in the Michigan waterfowl digest id push that issue if u have to go to court. I mean a unexperienced waterfowl hunter is not goung to know what a grebe is if its not even in the law book.

Inexperience is not an excuse....... :no:
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby rnteeh721 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:09 pm

So u guys are here to tell me the first time you went duck hunting you knew exactly what a grebe was and you wernt going to shoot it bull crap if it came poping up in ur decoys u dam well would have shot it.
rnteeh721
Newb

Postby shoot-n-goose » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:18 pm

rnteeh721 wrote:So u guys are here to tell me the first time you went duck hunting you knew exactly what a grebe was and you wernt going to shoot it bull crap if it came poping up in ur decoys u dam well would have shot it.

Whats the fun in shooting a tiny arse bird on the water :huh:

I wouldnt have, and no, I didnt have anyone there to teach me how to hunt ducks
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby spartansfan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:49 am

you shouldnt shoot birds that you don't know what they are. so no i wouldnt have shot it. dont make the assumption that every duck hunter shoots at every bird they see
its here!
spartansfan
hunter

Postby Penguine » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:31 am

Joshua wrote:This might be a stupid question but does anyone know where I can find a list of waterfowl I can harvest?
The areas I hunt are loaded with wood ducks with an occasional mallard or green winged teal,I ussually just get my limit of wood ducks and call it a day.
I have to ask because unless I overlooked it in the MI waterfowl hunting guide there is no section giving the waterfowl we can not harvest, like grebes. I have also never seen a section saying we can harvest teals and other ducks.
I got to ask because some of the areas I plan to hunt show shovelers, ruddy, and ringneck ducks in the area according to the weekly waterfowl counts.
Any help would be appreciated.

Start with the Michigan DNR website, google MI DNR. A real quick look at that website I found this, 2011-2012 Waterfowl Hunting Digest (HTML). It is all right in there. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10371_14724-244191--,00.html
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:00 pm

rnteeh721 wrote:So u guys are here to tell me the first time you went duck hunting you knew exactly what a grebe was and you wernt going to shoot it bull crap if it came poping up in ur decoys u dam well would have shot it.

I do not know where you are getting your info but I know that when I, My siblings, cousins family, friends etc. started hunting we were well aware of what we could and could not shoot. And if we could not identify it as a duck that we knew then we did not shoot. and we especially did not shoot ducks on the water. you needed a better role model to start you out... :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Previous

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting