Bay De Noc and Ogontz bay divers

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, quackerkiller

Bay De Noc and Ogontz bay divers

Postby bwalker » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:03 pm

Any yooper diver hunters?
What sort of spreads are you using and what species do you get.
I hunted someinland lakes aorund the Marquette area this year and did good on bills, buffies and ringnecks.
This year I will have a seaworthy boat and want to give the big watter a try. I already have plenty of blocks on long lines so thats not a issue.
bwalker
hunter

Postby Layout » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:49 pm

I pretty much hunt divers exclusively :thumbsup: . Rarely deer hunt any more. I've hunted all over the U.P. Basically, if it has water in it I've tried to hunt it. From way up in the the Kewenaw to Munuskong/Raber bay. Mainly use a layout boat.

I've hunted Big Bay de noc, little Bay de noc, Nahma and every inlet along the garden peninsula. Big Bay de noc has birds depending on what the migration is doing, but they are usually WAY out in deep water. It's pretty hard to hunt due to the deep water and not so friendly weather! Some of the best gunning we've had has been on inland lakes and rivers. We are hoping to plan a trip around the Munising area this year to hunt.
A ton of lead anchors

- Long live the retired "duck bus".
Layout
hunter

Postby bwalker » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:06 pm

Where at in Munising? Muny bay is way deep. You might have some problems setting your mainlines.
bwalker
hunter

Postby Layout » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:51 pm

I was thinking one of the shoals or somewhat shallower spots throughout the bay. My tender is equipped with a depth finder. My main lines will let me hunt in water 30' deep. If it is too deep we'll find a close lake nearby and possibly set there.

I know AuTrain lakes/impoundment is nearby, but that is one lake I've never hunted and I have talked to a few guys in Escanaba that have hunted there. They said timing is everything on those lakes.

Have you ever hunted Chassel Bay/Portage canal? That body of water is perfect for layout hunting but we have never really hammered the birds there.
A ton of lead anchors

Layout
hunter

Postby bwalker » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:52 pm

AuTrain lake can be good for both divers and puddlers. Like any duck hunting in the UP its weather dependant. I have found almost all the inland lakes along the north shore hold divers.
As for Muni bay. Its all deap water and there are no covers or bays that I know of.
I thought about hunting the portage canal, but I never have.
I also thought about hunting HUron bay. Have you ever hunted it?
bwalker
hunter

Postby Layout » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:29 pm

I have never hunted Huron Bay.

You're right on the timing thing. On one inland lake in particular we set up there one day and shot only a few birds. The very next day we went, we limited out in a hurry. The birds were actually landing in the dekes as we were positioning the layout. We have had that happen more than a couple of times so far.
A ton of lead anchors

Layout
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting