Duck Hunting Forum banner

Houghton Area

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  gartudtwo69 
#1 ·
I am a 3rd year at MTU and I want to do some duck hunting. Can anyone give me some starting points. I only have a canoe for now, possibly a boat in a week so open water is out of the question for now. Also if anyone is looking for another hunter I am always willing to hunt with someone.

Thanks for any help,
Shawn

#2 ·
Your on the right site.
There are a couple of guys attending MTU on this site.
I graduated back in 03' and a nice spot with a canoe can be the river down in Chassell, just south of Chassell past the hardware store is a small chunk, 5/7 acres, of state land on the river, great spot for a small set up, you can walk in from the road. Also the sloughs down toward Baraga just S. of Chassell.

Good luck!

#4 ·
I met a couple guys at the landing on the sloughs the other day. We have only shot one goose so far, we haven't seen a lot of ducks and the few that we have seen I can't get to decoy. I did hear a pretty good amount of shooting coming from what must have been chassell bay on saturday morning. We are heading out in a little bit so I will let you know how it goes later.

#5 ·
i'm a senior up here at tech, things are slow, only gotten 5 hooded mergansers so far... Not too excited about hunting the rest of the season either because last year after opening week it seamed that all the local birds had been shot or left, and no new birds ever came in through late october and early november... i do my real duck hunting downstate

i've heard about lots of people puddle jumping ducks down in painsdale and hunting up on boston pond..., i've been hunting in the sloughs seams to be quite a bit of pressure there. the birds are only coming in after shooting time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.