Duck Hunting Forum banner

Fish Point

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  getdowncoverup 
#1 ·
hey guys this is my first post here, little introduction im from grand blanc michigan im 23 and been duck hunting as long as i can remember.

anyway im thinking of taking a friend with me and heading to fish point friday for the afternoon hunt, the weather is looking pretty nasty, and was wondering what the party numbers have been like?also how is the water levl? i wont be able to take my canoe so ill be in a larger boat.

thanks for the help,
jeff

#2 ·
Hi Jeff,
Darrell King here from Goodrich. Heck, I'm your neighbor. Water levels up from last year although not all fields are flooded. I don't really think you need a boat do you? We pull our gear out in a cabelas viking sled and sit on folding chairs right in the water (with wadders on of course) we cook breakfast in the sled and have the dog sit in it. Tues Oct 14th am was our first trip of the year 77 parties. We drew forth, I felt like I hit the lottery!
Numbers of parties should slack off now that the opening is over. You should do good in the pm. Lots of Pintails, Mallards, Woodies, and GW Teal.
Let me know how you do.

Darrell

#3 ·
the boat is mostly for hauling all my stuff in decoys, guns, blinds,food!!! we have wadders and all that but ive made some homemade seats that need to be drug out as well.

darrell do you hunt localy around here? ive been hunting out in holly since opening day. i actually might be heading to my spot in a few minutes if this weather comes thru. havent had much action thats why im heading to fish point.

also i dont think i have ever been drawn higher then 10nth so getting drawn 4th must have been nice. i dont seem to ever have good luck in the drawing :thumbsdown: .

#5 ·
Dear jeff,

have had bad luck locally! Too many jerks out in the field (that's not to say there not plenty of jerks at fish point but at least you can get away from them at fish point) Got one 400 acre farm try not to over hunt it. How have you done in Holly? we used to hunt that but waaaay too many hunters now.

Did good forth in the draw a couple of woodies a couple of gw teal and a few mallards.

Darrell

#6 ·
during early goose season there were ALOT of hunters and we only took 4 geese and i hunted everyday of the season.

ive only took 5 ducks so far this season but i havent seen a single hunter. I went out and hunted one morning but the guys i was with wouldnt let the ducks work they were just blasting them as they started to work. to say the least i dont hunt with them anymore. that morning i would have got my limit if i wasnt with them.

just called fish point and they only had 44 parties this afternoon. hopefully everyone stays home friday afternoon!!

#7 ·
I just thought I would chime in and say that I am a regular up at fish point, but haven't been there yet this season due to a new job. One of my buddies, who consistently shoots 100 ducks a season (with no bands haha) has not shot a duck up there yet!!!! I don't know what is going on up there but he can't seem to get anything going, and hasn't really even fired at too many. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is alot of birds there. I've been hunting the Shiawassee a couple times a week and there have been between 30 and 60 parties there per hunt, even during the week! Now that's no big deal for fish point but at the Shiawassee I've been there during second and third week and had between 5 and 15 parties consistently for years. Just thinking maybe people aren't taking the trip to the point because of the bird numbers??? Anyone hunted both places and know???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.