Duck Hunting Forum banner

Great Weather, but not so great hunting! Houghton, Co.

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  gartudtwo69 
#1 ·
Hey all, I wish I had better news to report from U.P. north here, but I don't. Yesterday morning was the idealist conditions, but the only duck I saw was a mallard. He knew where he was going. Today was a bit different, the weather was just as good. We saw a few more ducks today, and got a few. Tonight and tomorrow we're supposed to get good storm, and with the temp. getting colder up in Canland, hopefully that;ll push some birds down to us. How did it go this weekend out to the east of here, Sault St. Marie area? Good luck, and hopefully I'll have some better news later this week.

#2 ·
We hunted on sugar island again this past weekend (me and michigan sniper). We didnt hunt as much as we did last week, because saturday didnt look like it was gonna be too ducky of weather and we needed to build a blind for our boat. We did go out friday night for an hour, a fair amount of ducks flying, but didnt get any to land in the decoys. Once shooting hours ended, ducks started flying everywhere. And of course there is always one hunter who is shooting 20 minutes past shooting hours... Went out saturday night also, only for a little bit, pretty much nothing flying, didnt get anything. We got our blind finished saturday night, which was the plan. The weather was supposed to be good for sunday morning, so we get up early sunday morning to go out. The weather man was predicting a N NW wind around 15-25 mph with rain, so of course we were excited. We get to our spot and its like dead calm, not even a ripple on the lake. So we set up anyways. To make a long story short we only got one hooded merganser, young drake. And the weather never turned bad. So we didnt even go out sunday night, we took a nap instead.

#4 ·
ojynnad20 said:
did you cook the merganser up yet?, we've also been getting quite a few of them up here, kind of annoying. I was suprised how good the duck tasted, never eaten a merganser before that.
No not yet, maybe sometime this week.

#6 ·
flight canceled said:
someone11 said:
So we didnt even go out sunday night, we took a nap instead.
thats cute :lol:
oh jeez LOL, what did i get myself into. NO, we did not take a nap together. :thumbsup: :hammer: :no:

#9 ·
Ok, you two, your starting to freak me out some,lol. what a nice and cold morning. I didn't see that many ducks, as I did last Tuesday. Where did they go? I saw 7 hoody's, got 1, and some Mallys', didn't get any of them. They were way out! Saw a few divers, got buzzed by a few loner's. No shots at them. But a nice flock of Honkers came right over me. Probably about 30 of them, now's there 28,lol. With this snow and wind the last few days, you'ld think there would of been atleast a few more birds down. oh well, I'll give it another whirl tomorrow. Hopefully it'll get better. Later

#11 ·
Rooke said:
went out with a buddy of mine this morning in chassel and got 8, (6 buffies, 2 mallards)... lots of birds flying early ...the front pushed down some buffies it looks like :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: good to hear

#12 ·
Hey Rooke, I guess I know where I'm going tomorrow,lol. I was thinking earlier of heading down that way. Great to hear, you got that many. I talked to another guy,and they did about the same. I did some final prep on "DA BOAT" It's rocking tomorrow. Plus with the 80 horse, Chassell is no problem. Seeya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.